Army EFMB Training as 2nd year med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToXicity09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping anyone on here had contact information direct to HRC with regard to cutting orders for EFMB training. My OTSG manager is vehemently opposed to me doing this training, saying it is not authorized, and yet I know that it is possible because I know a person who took permissive TDY (paid for travel, nothing else) to complete the training a couple years ago.

I am a 2nd year HPSP student and have already completed BOLC, and I think at this point I will directly contact the testing location and try to speak to the OIC/NCOIC to get a spot. Is this ok to do or am I crossing too many lines doing this? I can accept no for an answer, but just the fact that someone did it recently in the past makes me think that the opportunity is still there for myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping anyone on here had contact information direct to HRC with regard to cutting orders for EFMB training. My OTSG manager is vehemently opposed to me doing this training, saying it is not authorized, and yet I know that it is possible because I know a person who took permissive TDY (paid for travel, nothing else) to complete the training a couple years ago.

I am a 2nd year HPSP student and have already completed BOLC, and I think at this point I will directly contact the testing location and try to speak to the OIC/NCOIC to get a spot. Is this ok to do or am I crossing too many lines doing this? I can accept no for an answer, but just the fact that someone did it recently in the past makes me think that the opportunity is still there for myself.
Was the person you know that took Permissive TDY for EFMB from USUHS or HPSP? USUHS participants have to be on Permissive TDY rather than funded orders too.

Contact the OIC/NCOIC to see if they have openings. Find the list of preliminary required tasks - can you complete those prior to attendance? It includes at least a recent PT test and weapons qualification. Do you have access to the required OCIE (equipment)? They don't usually issue that as part of EFMB and participants have to have it upon arrival.

It's worth it to pursue but your IRR? status in HPSP might make it difficult.

Good luck.

Was the person you know that took Permissive TDY for EFMB from USUHS or HPSP? USUHS participants have to be on Permissive TDY rather than funded orders too.

Contact the OIC/NCOIC to see if they have openings. Find the list of preliminary required tasks - can you complete those prior to attendance? It includes at least a recent PT test and weapons qualification. Do you have access to the required OCIE (equipment)? They don't usually issue that as part of EFMB and participants have to have it upon arrival.

It's worth it to pursue but your IRR? status in HPSP might make it difficult.

Good luck.
That person was from USUHS. And I'm fortunate in that completing BOLC has put me within the window to have a valid weapons qual by the time the course starts. I plan on contacting the reserve unit in my area to see if they are willing to lend me the equipment on the packing list and possibly give me a PT test if the EFMB course requires one from 6 months out instead of 12. The NCOIC gave me the green light since I am eligible based on the PAM 350-10 criteria but the struggle will be figuring out how to find the proper contact to get these orders drafted since there isn't an established process in place. Essentially that is the biggest question I have right now, so if someone on here that knows more than me has any information that would help I'm open to any guidance! Thank you for the help