efficient use of Step 1 dedicated study period

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the forums it is suggested to do a certain amount of study in a day followed by a certain number of UW questions. I cannot seem to get through all of this material in the allotted time daily. Not to mention the fact that I have not taken any self assessment tests to date. I have been studying for 2 weeks 10 -12 hours a day and I have 4 weeks left till test time. Any suggestions or tips on what i might be doing wrong of what i can do to cover more material daily. I am concerned that i will not be fully prepared to take the test in 4 weeks at this rate.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same problems here, though I have about 8 weeks left to study... I'm an IMG from Rio and reading FA has made all the difference so far since there are a lot of stuff my school/myself didn't cover with the same excruciatingly painful detail as it seems US schools do. So, perhaps, depending on where you study, you could optimize your time by doing more UWorld questions than just reading/passively studying. I still have to go through a few more FA chapters...

I took my first NBME yesterday (topic of another thread) and I strongly suggest that you take one TODAY to gauge your general "readiness". You can find online which one correlates best with the actual exam (I think it is 17 but I'm not sure).

Sample size is tiny but this is what I can say about the NBME I took (Form 13):
- Easier than UWorld; much more straight to the point
- Time does not seem to be an issue; I had about 15/20 min after each block to work on marked questions
- Grading curve is BRUTAL. I got 80% of the questions right and got a 209... 80% in any exam I took during med school would be a very good score (A/A-)
- It is tiring to do 200 questions in 5 hours but I thought it was better than expected; good endurance training for the real thing

Hope this helps and let's wait for the more experienced to chip in...