ED-ICU: What’s the point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tend to see it by month - one month in the ED, another on the wards. Some do 50:50, but others do more months in the ED vs wards. You can also do 1 or2 week blocks. There are no hard rules. People with grants or educational buy-down may have different breakdown to accommodate their scholarly activities and every place is different.
Oh wow I never even thought about a month to month approach. This makes a lot more sense because if you had one week on, one week off of Hospitalist work, I can't imagine really wanting to do ED shifts on your week off.

Are these individuals considered full-time faculty by their employer, and therefore receive benefits?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but can you speak as to how EM/Hospitalist work is split?
Essentially whatever you want it to be. For example, some where I worked had about 10wks of hospitalist per year, and then ~7-8 ED shifts per month mixed in.

Oh wow I never even thought about a month to month approach. This makes a lot more sense because if you had one week on, one week off of Hospitalist work, I can't imagine really wanting to do ED shifts on your week off.

Are these individuals considered full-time faculty by their employer, and therefore receive benefits?

All of the dual trained EM/IM physicians that I know have faculty appointments in the Departments of EM and IM, and are full-time employees of the SOM. However, they would not consider themselves “hospitalists” per se since they have faculty appointments of at least assistant professor level with scholarly requirements. That is to say, they run the resident teaching gen med teams during their in-patient months, but also have significant academic and administrative protected time as they are often leader in EM, IM, and the SOM (residency or clerkship directors, Chiefs of Staff, etc.).

Hospitalist services are often distinct entities that may or may not report up to the Department of IM. For example, the hospitalists at MCG at one time (perhaps still do) reported to the Chair of EM which is a rather neat way of making sure the missions are aligned. At my shop they are employees of the hospital (as opposed to the SOM) and absorb the overflow admissions for when the med teams are capped as well as most patients placed in obs status. They have minimal scholarly or teaching responsibilities and carry a title of “clinical instructor.” They are essentially there to move the meat.

All of the EM/IM physicians at my shop are core faculty in EM/IM as opposed to part of the hospitalist group. However, other places set it up differently. It all depends on your academic or administrative aspirations.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been searching across Google/the forums but is there a list of hospitals with ED ICU's/E3's that is readily accessible. Just out of curiosity? Many thanks.

I've been searching across Google/the forums but is there a list of hospitals with ED ICU's/E3's that is readily accessible. Just out of curiosity? Many thanks.
University of Michigan, Stony Brook, Penn, University of New Mexico, Henry Ford, Lincoln Hospital (NY), University of Alabama. Shock Trauma has a critical care resuscitation unit that exists outside of the ED but serves a similar purpose.

Reactions: 1 user