Ectopic Pregnancy Surgery / Abortion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Catholic Church does not support abortion as an end nor as a means to an end. See Humanae Vitae and Evangelium Vitae (both in available in english) on the Vatican website

Absolutely, but a procedure to remove an ectopic pregnancy is not considered an "abortion" by the Church. It is considered a life-saving operation.

Members don't see this ad.

The Catholic Church does not support abortion as an end nor as a means to an end. See Humanae Vitae and Evangelium Vitae (both in available in english) on the Vatican website

You're correct that it does not, but an operation to save the life of the mother - even if the life of the embryo/fetus is terminated as a side effect. The main intention cannot be to kill the POC. It may be a question of semantics, but the Catholic Church would not prevent a woman from having an ectopic pregnancy removed.

There are a lot of people in this thread that don't understand the difference between an elective procedure and a life-saving procedure.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there, but it's spelled-out nice and directly here:

americancatholic.org said:
First, while the Church opposes all direct abortions, it does not condemn procedures which result, indirectly, in the loss of the unborn child as a "secondary effect." For example, if a mother is suffering an ectopic pregnancy (a baby is developing in her fallopian tube, not the womb), a doctor may remove the fallopian tube as therapeutic treatment to prevent the mother's death. The infant will not survive long after this, but the intention of the procedure and its action is to preserve the mother's life. It is not a direct abortion.

***that's some good hand-waving, btw

Apparently your ability to comprehend was lost some time in the past. The conscience clause refers to elective procedures (and medical interventions), not those that involve immediate life saving attention. But if you still feel that way, send that woman with the unstable ectopic pregnancy away and let her die outside your office, see if it holds up in court. It isn't going to effect me either way.

Let me know where you see the word "elective" in there.

Again, when you're talking to those of us who actually deal with these things in real life, you should really avoid just making **** up and trying to pass it off as fact.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sec. 300a-7. Sterilization or abortion

(b) Prohibition of public officials and public authorities from
imposition of certain requirements contrary to religious
beliefs or moral convictions
The receipt of any grant, contract, loan, or loan guarantee under the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 201 et seq.), the Community Mental Health Centers Act (42 U.S.C. 2689 et seq.), or the Developmental Disabilities Services and Facilities Construction Act (42 U.S.C. 6000 et seq.) by any individual or entity does not authorize any court or any public official or other public authority to require -

(1) such individual to perform or assist in the performance of
any sterilization procedure or abortion if his performance or
assistance in the performance of such procedure or abortion would
be contrary to his religious beliefs or moral convictions

Let me know where you see the word "elective" in there.

Again, when you're talking to those of us who actually deal with these things in real life, you should really avoid just making **** up and trying to pass it off as fact.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sec. 300a-7. Sterilization or abortion

(b) Prohibition of public officials and public authorities from
imposition of certain requirements contrary to religious
beliefs or moral convictions
The receipt of any grant, contract, loan, or loan guarantee under the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 201 et seq.), the Community Mental Health Centers Act (42 U.S.C. 2689 et seq.), or the Developmental Disabilities Services and Facilities Construction Act (42 U.S.C. 6000 et seq.) by any individual or entity does not authorize any court or any public official or other public authority to require -

(1) such individual to perform or assist in the performance of
any sterilization procedure or abortion if his performance or
assistance in the performance of such procedure or abortion would
be contrary to his religious beliefs or moral convictions
Can't wait to see the case on cnn.com

Why didn't you do an LP and start abx on this patient that came in with nuchal rigidity, fever, and altered mental status?

It is against my moral convictions to give abx because it kills bacteria and bacteria have feelings too.

I am sure that would go over well.

It is against my moral convictions to give abx because it kills bacteria and bacteria have feelings too.

Thanks for degrading this entire conversation with your stupid fake example.

I suppose that's all I can expect from someone who just makes things up to hide their lack of knowledge and inability to research a topic.