This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosnisarg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys! :)

Starting my undergrad at Montclair State University (Major: Molecular Biology; Concentration: Medicine; Minor: Public Health) with the hopes of going to Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (I’m applying for their 7 year program my junior year to be more specific).

I was wondering what extra-curriculars would look good for my dental school application.

1. How do I get my foot into research?

2. What job should I work during undergrad (applied as a pharm tech to a few places as advised by my sister; “You’re going to have to learn those drugs eventually anyway” - My Pharmacist Sister)?

3. Any specific clubs to join (I’m already a member of the ASDA though MSU doesn’t have a pre-dental club)?

4. Anything else I should try doing (as long as my grades don’t suffer and neither do I)?

As for shadowing, I’m shadowing two general dentists in July (totaling about 80 hours) and an OMFS in August (for about 40 hours).

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, any events/programs taking place this summer for pre-dents in the NJ/NY area? Unfortunately the GNYDM isn’t until November.

You're applying to Rutgers 7 year program (which combines undergrad and dental school) as a junior in undergrad? Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're applying to Rutgers 7 year program (which combines undergrad and dental school) as a junior in undergrad? Why?
Eager optimism tells me I should! :)
Lol, but seriously, I’d just rather save a year and use that toward residency or going the combined DMD/MPH route (assuming Rutgers and Montclair decide to let me).

This program was recommended to me when telling the pre-health advisors at Montclair about my dream of pursuing dentistry.

Aren't you supposed to apply to the 7-year program your senior year of high school?
Rutgers allows students from surrounding NJ state schools to apply for early admission during their junior year. They have a program allowing students interested in med or dental to take part in their accelerated program while obtaining an undergrad elsewhere. Graduation from, in my case, Montclair will take place the end of my D1.

Texas A&M does this same thing; students go for undergrad at surrounding colleges and go to A&M for dental school their fourth year of UG.

Rutgers allows students from surrounding NJ state schools to apply for early admission during their junior year. They have a program allowing students interested in med or dental to take part in their accelerated program while obtaining an undergrad elsewhere. Graduation from, in my case, Montclair will take place the end of my D1.

Texas A&M does this same thing; students go for undergrad at surrounding colleges and go to A&M for dental school their fourth year of UG.

Ok that makes more sense. I thought you were trying to start the 7 year program from its first year.

Email a lot of different professors with labs and see what opportunities pan out. Explain you're interested in research, it helps if you can discuss why you're interested in their field of research specifically.

2. What job should I work during undergrad (applied as a pharm tech to a few places as advised by my sister; “You’re going to have to learn those drugs eventually anyway” - My Pharmacist Sister)?

Doesn't really matter. If any occupation gives you a small edge in terms of practical skills in dental school, it would be working as a dental assistant.

3. Any specific clubs to join (I’m already a member of the ASDA though MSU doesn’t have a pre-dental club)?

Join clubs you're actually interested in joining. There's no specific requirements when it comes to most extracurricular stuff. Pursue what you're passionate about and you're more likely to make significant achievements that stand out.

4. Anything else I should try doing (as long as my grades don’t suffer and neither do I)?

Volunteering may not be a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the detailed response!

Volunteering may not be a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Any specifics on where I should volunteer?

Hey, guys! :)

Starting my undergrad at Montclair State University (Major: Molecular Biology; Concentration: Medicine; Minor: Public Health) with the hopes of going to Rutgers School of Dental Medicine (I’m applying for their 7 year program my junior year to be more specific).

I was wondering what extra-curriculars would look good for my dental school application.

As for shadowing, I’m shadowing two general dentists in July (totaling about 80 hours) and an OMFS in August (for about 40 hours).

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
I had no research and got in at all schools I applied.

No need to work a job to get in at any place unless you really want to. Maybe work as an assistant on summers?

Join prehealth club or just one of interest so you don't look like just a bookworm.

4. Volunteer consistently at a place with human interaction. None of that pick up the trash every weekend thing because that's hard to talk about in interviews.