EBUS equipment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRT_doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My hospital is considering buying EBUS equipment. What EBUS model / manufacturer would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Olympus and Pentax are the two big players. Fuji also makes a high-def EBUS scope that has a better (15 degree) view angle. Most third party needles seem not to be compatible with Fuji scopes so be sure you know what you're buying.

In part this is also dependent on what other bronchoscopy equipment you have available. You will want equipment that can work with your existing scopes on the same tower and image processor if possible. Otherwise be sure you have enough space to accomodate both towers without having to rearrange things in the room.

The Olympus EBUS scope light optics are horrible to put it mildly. I have not heard of a high def update. If you want even a limited airway survey with your EBUS you will need to use a regular fiberoptic scope in addition to the EBUS scope. The US image is passable but their reporting and image capture software can be a little fickle. I can get the sample I need with it. We will likely get another Olympus scope if it can use the same image processor just because of the costs associated with replacing the entire tower plus our entire inventory of diagnostic and therapeutic scopes.