eBooks vs Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IslandHomie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Ebooks instead of lugging around big heavy texts? For books like Small animal surgery, it seems like a really nice idea. Plus, better for the environment, easier to use in the future (in case the big fat book isn't right next to you). What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been using my ebook version of Miller's Anatomy all quarter and I love it. I don't ever use the hardcopy. I never have to search in the index, all I do is type whatever structure I need to learn about into the search bar and it brings up a list of every page. Once I've clicked on the pages, I can use forward/back buttons just like a web browser to switch between the pages. It's very intuitive and saves a ton of time. The only thing I don't like about it is I can't highlight the diagrams, only the text, small price to pay.

The only issue I would have is that our laptops aren't welcome in the anatomy lab during lab time, and we use miller's extensively in lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
i prefer actually having the book in front of me mostly since im obsessed with highlighters.... but it could be just me......

i'm obsessesed with highlighters as well (and sticky notes/arrows), so if the publishers get on board, i'm very excited about this:

http://www.entourageedge.com/entourage-edge.html

it will basically give us best of both worlds.

of course, the publishers are a big if . . . they make a lot of money fleecing students for textbooks. :)

I don't have the e-books, but I like the regular textbooks. For one thing, I spend probably 5+ hours a day on my notebook (laptop) taking notes as it is.... if I had to come home and study on my notebook for 5+ hours each night I think my eyes would burn out of my head.

Of course here I am on my computer instead of studying for finals anyway... ;)

pls can anyone tell me a wedsite where i can get ebooks for veterinary subjects like surgery, anatomy, pathology etc. thanks

If you're okay with reading for hours (on a possibly boring subject) off a computer screen, then go for it. Personally I'm not OK with it...

But there's a lot of pros:
-you can search through an ebook instantly, making it easy to find what you're looking for
-ebooks don't wear and tear
-as light as your laptop
-probably cheaper?

I can't wait until the future when they have some sort of advanced Kindle technology and all our textbooks will be in one device