Easy way to determine program LOR requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to a lot of programs, and it is a pain to go to each program's site and sift through a ton of info just to find out how many/what type of LORs they need. Is there anywhere that has an easy listing of LOR reaquirements for each program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

no. i went to each site and looked it up. took about couple hrs.

That sucks!

I was hoping for some tips from this thread.

Anyway, if this helps anyone... I know that for categorical IM programs, they all request at most request 1 chairman letter and 2 department faculty letters but will accept up to four letters total. The only exception that I know of being Johns Hopkins which requests 4 letters total.

So, I am just assigning all 4 to all of my programs. Think that's an ok way to go?

I know FREIDA lists the number of LORs required for most programs..but as far as the type goes..unfortunately i think ull just have to go to the individual websites for it :scared:

Anyway, if this helps anyone... I know that for categorical IM programs, they all request at most request 1 chairman letter and 2 department faculty letters but will accept up to four letters total.

This means four letters in addition to the Dean's Letter?

I think there is green book that has all the requirement needs for all residency programs put out by AMA?? Its usually a reference book in the library, ask you dept of academic affairs, they may have a copy on hand. i think its easier than surfing through tons of pages. hope that helps.

Are you saying that categorical programs want generally want 3 letters from anesthesiologists, or 1 chairman letter and then 2 letters from any type of doctor?

thanks

That sucks!

Anyway, if this helps anyone... I know that for categorical IM programs, they all request at most request 1 chairman letter and 2 department faculty letters but will accept up to four letters total. The only exception that I know of being Johns Hopkins which requests 4 letters total.

So, I am just assigning all 4 to all of my programs. Think that's an ok way to go?

I think that post was about internal medicine categorical positions.

We were told to be sure to send the requested number of letters, otherwise you look like you don't follow directions or pay attention to detail. Frieda has the info on the number needed and a link to the program's website. It's nearly always it's own tab on their website under application information or applicants, something like that. I just went through with 3 windows open and checked boxes as I went, it didn't take long.

This means four letters in addition to the Dean's Letter?

Yea. In addition to the Dean's Letter.
So, for IM (in my experience): it's
1) MSPE
2) Chairman's
3) Dept. of IM faculty
4) Dept. of IM faculty
5) optional research/IM faculty or whatever (REQUIRED for Hopkins)

I know FREIDA lists the number of LORs required for most programs..but as far as the type goes..unfortunately i think ull just have to go to the individual websites for it :scared:

Hey- where did you find that info on FREIDA? I was looking up my programs on there today, but didn't see anything in the way of Application Requirements.... though, maybe I am ******ed or blind. thanks

That sucks!

I did the same....because of the Hopkins requirement.

Heading is General Information:
(just below the box with the number of residents per year). Here's an example

Primary teaching site University Health System

Primary teaching site uses electronic medical records Yes
Program best described as University-based
Requires previous GME No
Offers preliminary positions No
Applicants must have passed USMLE Step 2-CS before starting a first-year position in 2007 Yes
Participates in National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) in 2007 Yes Code(s): 1722220C0
Participant in San Francisco match No
Participant in another matching program No
Interviews conducted last year for first year positions 70
Required letters of recommendation 3
Latest date for applications for 2007-2008 12/31/2006
Interview period 11/08/2006 -- 01/17/2007
Earliest date for applications for 2008-2009 09/01/2007
Latest date for applications for 2008-2009 12/31/2007
Interview period 11/07/2007 -- 01/16/2008

Oh, ok. Thanks!

I think the problem was that FREIDA just didn't have that info. listed for the programs I was looking at. Some of the IM programs didn't even have a website listed or the number of PGY 1 spots available. I havn't looked at all of them yet, though.

Also- FYI for IM people, I also found in my searching that Stanford, too, requests at least 3 LOR in addition to the MSPE and Chairman's letter. So, so far, Hopkins and Stanford. Anyone know of any others? (maybe I should post this question on the IM forum). :rolleyes: