Easiest Pharm Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new2pharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which years in pharm school are the hardest? I am assuming the first??? because of getting used to the intense regime??? Does it get easier by the third year, second, fourth when you start to understand/connect info together and begin to know what you are doing? Are the third/fourth year spent mostly on rotaions or are you atill studying as much? What about first year pharm when we go on site and for those of us who have never "worked" in a pharm and have no idea what we are doing? And also, what are residencies? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm speaking from my experience of a 4 years pharmacy school (vs the 6 yr programs). None of the year is easy. In each semester, there are some topics/lectures that are quite relaxing and then there are some that drive you nut. In the 1st year, it's hard probably because you are new and still adjusting. In the following years, it's challenging because you have more materials. My advice is this: even if your 1st year is very easy, do not slack off but treat it seriously. If you develop a bad studying habit (like I did) because of some easy classes, that habit will stick with you in later years and mess up your GPA. Trust me, easy class or not, treat them seriously.
During your 1st and maybe 2nd year, you will be exposed to the pharmacy working environment but dont worry too much, they will assume that you know nothing and start from scratch (which annoys some people who have experience).
Residency is post-graduate training in a nutshell but dont worry about it right now. You will get to know it better when you're in pharm school even if you dont want to know about it (people will come to talk to you, give presentations, blah blah).

I was wondering which years in pharm school are the hardest? I am assuming the first??? because of getting used to the intense regime??? Does it get easier by the third year, second, fourth when you start to understand/connect info together and begin to know what you are doing? Are the third/fourth year spent mostly on rotaions or are you atill studying as much? What about first year pharm when we go on site and for those of us who have never "worked" in a pharm and have no idea what we are doing? And also, what are residencies? :confused:

First year is the easiest. Two and three suck. Rotations are basically you being stuck with a person who has specialized in something and you follow them around lost as hell for a few weeks. You actually wind up learning much more this way than in the classroom.

If you've never worked in a pharmacy before, it doesn't really matter. You'll get acclimated fast enough. The crap you learn from working in a pharmacy is incredibly shallow compared to what you have to know to get through school. It might help with a few of the stupid first year classes where you have to ramble off the top 200 drugs or something equally as pointless.

And you meant to say regimen. Not regime. It always cracks me up when people use regime in place of regimen. Folks say "drug regime" and I envision Pfizer taking over some small country and setting up a totalitarian dictatorship.

Members don't see this ad :)
And you meant to say regimen. Not regime. It always cracks me up when people use regime in place of regimen. Folks say "drug regime" and I envision Pfizer taking over some small country and setting up a totalitarian dictatorship.[/quote]

LOL!

soldier08np7.jpg

Second year certainly isn't. Four weeks left, woo!

Different schools' curricula are different, but most people consider second year the worst. In my school, every year had its advantages and disadvantages:

P1 - too many classes each worth just a couple credit hours, so a ton of exams all the time, but each one by itself not too bad
P2 - several very difficult classes at the same time, at least two exams a week
P3 - much less classroom time, exams maybe once every month or so - but every one packed a lot more punch than in the previous years
P4 - you actually get to apply your knowledge so it's more interesting, and rotations are short so by the time you get settled it's already time to move on, so they go quickly, and we had no exams. Just long hours... depends very much on what rotations you choose.

P1-some repetition for prepharm curriculum. They have the most exams.
P2-the most in class hours of P1-P3 years
P3-the hardest material but fewer hours Also, have more projects
P4-rotations. has highest average GPA

I thought my first year was going to be pretty easy until I took a test tonight and probably failed it. Oh well, that is why the class has a lab, right?

I agree with some of the others in that the second year at our school is definitely the worst! It's going to depend on the curriculum at your school though.

First year was way easy, second year was challenging but fun, third year has been the hardest. I don't know if P3 is the hardest due to burnout or if the material is actually more difficult than P2.

Folks say "drug regime" and I envision Pfizer taking over some small country and setting up a totalitarian dictatorship.

WHAT??? You mean they haven't already done so??? :scared:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ROLMAO!!! You made my day...thanks!

Zoomie