Early Match Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LR6SO4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all those in the know:
Suppose I apply to a competitive program that uses the SF match (ie Ophtho). I don't get in (hey, it's a tough one!). I have planned to apply to a transitional program through NMRP, but if I didn't get my early match, I would botch this idea and apply to a backup specialty. Should/can I:
A) Have enough time to change my personal statement on NMRP as well as program choice (transitional->Gen Surg).
B) Just assume that I will match transitional and then try again next year.
C) Any other options you all know of.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I second this question. How does the timing of such a situation work out???

In general you do NOT have enough time to change personal statements, or other materials via ERAS should you not obtain a position in an Early Match Residency. This is assuming you apply to General Surgery programs which usually set their application deadlines from mid-October to November 1.

What is generally done is that you apply for the Early Match AND whatever your back up would be AT THE SAME TIME. IF you get an Early Match, you drop out of the NRMP and chalk up the money spent as a necessary evil. However, if you do not get the Early spot you simply remain in the NRMP and hopefully get a position there.

You CAN apply for both Transitional and General Surgery (or whatever) positions via NRMP and submit separate letters, personal statements, etc. However, because you generally don't hear about Early Match positions until January or so (I do not know the exact dates for Ophtho) this will be long after the deadlines to submit the materials at least for Gen Surg programs; Transitional and other tracks may have later deadlines.

Please check out the deadlines for the individual back up programs you are considering and ajust your application strategy accordingly.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for that response! Would it even be smart to apply for Ophtho and Radiology at the same time? That way if I didn't get Ophtho I could still have a chance at Rads. I know I sound strange, and I will re-assess myself this next summer after boards to see if I even have a shot at either. I may very well be hoping to desperately get a Family Practice residency! Thanks again for all replies.

Originally posted by LR6SO4:
•Thanks so much for that response! Would it even be smart to apply for Ophtho and Radiology at the same time? That way if I didn't get Ophtho I could still have a chance at Rads. I know I sound strange, and I will re-assess myself this next summer after boards to see if I even have a shot at either. I may very well be hoping to desperately get a Family Practice residency! Thanks again for all replies.•

You should apply for whatever fields you are interested in. There are no restrictions although, frankly Ophtho and Rads are a fair bit different but if you can get letters and right separate personal statements for each, more power to ya.

You would be well advised to be aware that this plan will cost you a pretty penny because I would say that given the competitiveness of Rads you should have a back up plan for taht as well. Therefore you can find yourself paying for Ophtho apps, Prelim and PGY2 apps for Rads and then for backup programs as well (remember for Rads you apply for both PGY1 and PGY2 at the same time). $$$$$$

Sounds like you might need to give your field of choice some more thought before committing to it.

Best of luck to you.