Early Assurance vs. Traditional Route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenpiano

Reaction score
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don’t make the mistake of making a decision based on what other people think. Who cares if they care about prestige and title. What do YOU want? Low stress undergrad and early assurance into an MD sounds cush to me. An MD is an MD at the end of the day. No guarantee you’d even make it in a top medical program. Not sure how early assurance works but I would assume you could back out at any time. I wish I had known about early assurance before college started but then again, it all depends on what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of school admits students without an applicaiton or an interview. Is there a sorting hat?
I guess schools that want to show HYPSM grads in their marketing material.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'm an undergraduate at one of the HYPSM colleges and have been thinking about early assurance programs. Since my grades and activities are pretty average, early assurance programs interest me due to no mcat, no applications/interviews, and ability to have a more relaxed college life.

But at the same time, a lot of premeds at my undergrad go on to top 20 medical schools and don't even consider the schools that have early assurance (ranked #80-100 on US News). It's also far away from my state, almost no one from my undergrad has went there, and tuition is really high with little scholarships or financial aid.

I'm afraid I'll regret it later if I choose to commit to an early assurance program and am unsure if it'll be worth it for my specific situation. Does school prestige really matter for medical school/is it worth the stress of applications? Since I go to a school whose students care significantly about rankings and name value, I do feel slightly pressured to reach for more options, but I'm also pretty tired of being stressed out from premed reqs, activities, research, etc.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
I am not an adcom but a parent who is familiar with these things. In general I don't support going for early assurance programs or BSMD for candidates that were able to get into T20 UGs based on academics and strong ECs but it appears you are very stressed out about ECs so you should you consider taking EA.. I know two students (one is my kid) who gave up good BSMD, didn't bother to apply for EA programs and doing very well with current cycle but both pretty much had stress free UG and excelled in academics and ECs.

But even BS/MD programs have an interview prior to admission to college, don't they?
I believe most do but what I heard is they are more of formality for guaranteed programs as long as you meet GPA and MCAT requirements (which is very low at most schools). SLU has no guarantee program and they take 100+ and weed out thru interview process. BSMD is purely to get those who otherwise won't join the school for UG. This year WashU and Northwestern cancelled their BSMD programs.

Given the size of these programs it's tough to go by attrition rates. Very few take more than 20 students per year so if one drops out it's 5%+.
But if you look at attrition of all the students from all the programs and it is still 5% you have some statistical power to say that the struggle is real.

Reactions: 1 users
But if you look at attrition of all the students from all the programs and it is still 5% you have some statistical power to say that the struggle is real.
I understand what you are saying, but even after combining all the BSMD programs you end up with much smaller data than rest (5% BSMD vs 95% traditional path). There are around 25 programs and only handful take over 20 (Brown around 60+ and AMC 45+). I think that spike is due to so called tiger/helicopter parents pushing kids into BSMD. I know it's hard to believe me (an active parent) saying it :)

• Haha
I understand what you are saying, but even after combining all the BSMD programs you end up with much smaller data than rest (5% BSMD vs 95% traditional path). There are around 25 programs and only handful take over 20 (Brown around 60+ and AMC 45+). I think that spike is due to so called tiger/helicopter parents pushing kids into BSMD. I know it's hard to believe me (an active parent) saying it :)
Precisely. These candidates are high risk in that many lack internal motivation to pursue a career in medicine thus their higher attrition than fellow classmates who were admitted through the traditional route. They also have not been tested under pressure and are thus smart but lazy when they matriculate into medical school. Many are also very young and still testing themselves as adults.

Furthermore, 5% of 20,000 is still 1,000 which is large enough population that attrition of 5% (50 students) can be tested and found to be statistically significant in comparisoin to other medical students' attrition. When you do a chi-square to compare two proportions, it doesn't matter if one group is much larger than the other.

Reactions: 2 users
But these are the student who complete the BS and then later drop out of medical school, compared to the 3% of regular MD matriculants, This is also across all MD schools, so all BS/MD programs
I understand that. Lot of these kids breeze thru BS part using AP credits or doing the minimum needed as per grades, ECs and research and probably hit the wall in med school. My guess that's the reason slowly good schools are getting out of BSMD.

Members don't see this ad :)
in 2018 about 600 students matriculated via BS/MD
I was expecting it around 500. so 5% of that is 30, one per school on average. I think that number will stay same given some new ones came but old ones were cancelled.

Can someone enroll in BSMD kinda programs while being a UG? Aren't these directly out of high school?

Can someone enroll in BSMD kinda programs while being a UG? Aren't these directly out of high school?
BSMD you apply during 12th grade, but early assurance programs you typically apply as a sophomore in college.

EAP are generally open to their own UGs only. Very few exceptions are Mt Sinai and another one, where any UG student can apply for their EAP. However those do conduct an interview.
Recently my son went though this EAP exercise at NU, program called NUPSP.

EAP are generally open to their own UGs only. Very few exceptions are Mt Sinai and another one, where any UG student can apply for their EAP. However those do conduct an interview.
Recently my son went though this EAP exercise at NU, program called NUPSP.
Mt. Sinai is popular, one kid went from my son’s school last year but my son chose not to apply since his aim is T3.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. The early assurance programs do require a full AMCAS application and interview, but not the mcat.
I meant the stress of doing multiple applications and interviews during the traditional cycle as opposed to none after graduating college, which would be a huge factor for me as relaxing before heading for med school is extremely important for me.

*The programs I'm applying to are different from BS/MD programs that many are talking about here, as those are for high school applicants but I am already an undergrad.

Does anyone else have thoughts on whether it would be worth it to apply EAP, or wait until the traditional cycle? I know HYPSM have certain advantages in the med school application process, but I'm still worried due to having very average grades (and still struggling/stressed).

Thanks everyone for your inputs. The early assurance programs do require a full AMCAS application and interview, but not the mcat.
I meant the stress of doing multiple applications and interviews during the traditional cycle as opposed to none after graduating college, which would be a huge factor for me as relaxing before heading for med school is extremely important for me.

*The programs I'm applying to are different from BS/MD programs that many are talking about here, as those are for high school applicants but I am already an undergrad.

Does anyone else have thoughts on whether it would be worth it to apply EAP, or wait until the traditional cycle? I know HYPSM have certain advantages in the med school application process, but I'm still worried due to having very average grades (and still struggling/stressed).
Your only choices are your own UG affiliated medical school (provided it exist + offer such program), Mt Sinai and another one for EAP

Only you can decide that. If you want very relaxing process or you get stressed out easily then go for EAP. The kid I know chose Mt. Sinai despite being very strong in academics and from a T20 (with scholarship) since he didn't want to go thru the application process. My kid chose not to do that and planned well (with the help of overinvolved parent :cool: ) and got into T5 schools despite not attending HYPSM.

Applying to EAP does not equal getting accepted. So, why not apply if you have the opportunity and see what the result is? If positive, great. If not, wait for regular.

Its kinda EAP through your UG to your UG affiliated med school only. Only 2 med schools allow to apply EAP through any UG.

Applying to EAP does not equal getting accepted. So, why not apply if you have the opportunity and see what the result is? If positive, great. If not, wait for regular.
In most cases those are binding.