This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where Should I go to school?

• IS DVM/PhD

• UK School

Results are only viewable after voting.

animals&p450s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I have a sort of unique dilemma, and I'd love to hear what you guys think is the best choice. I've been accepted to my in state DVM/PhD program, and also to RVC, Edinburgh, and Glasgow.

Research is my primary career interest in vetmed so I was thrilled when I was accepted to my in state DVM/PhD. The major benefits are that my entire tuition is waived and I'll also be receiving a small stipend while I'm completing the PhD. In 8 years, I'll have both degrees and have very little debt (living expenses). The major cons for me are that I did undergrad at the same school which was a tough experience for me socially, and academically. Also, I'm not happy with the location and distance from the closest large/metropolitan city.

On the other hand, I'm a person who loves travel and has always dreamed about living abroad. I've already done quite a bit of travel so I'm comfortable being outside of the US. During my interviews, I identified so much more with the faculty and alumni from the UK schools and I feel like its going to be a better cultural fit overall. The drawbacks are that I'll need to apply to a separate PhD program after I finish the DVM (even more years of school), and Ill be a gazillion dollars in debt.

I feel ridiculous for even considering the UK schools when I have such a great opportunity in my hands but I'm really thinking about my quality of life and where I'd rather spend the first few years of my independent adult life.

I really appreciate any and all advice!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

I have a sort of unique dilemma, and I'd love to hear what you guys think is the best choice. I've been accepted to my in state DVM/PhD program, and also to RVC, Edinburgh, and Glasgow.

Research is my primary career interest in vetmed so I was thrilled when I was accepted to my in state DVM/PhD. The major benefits are that my entire tuition is waived and I'll also be receiving a small stipend while I'm completing the PhD. In 8 years, I'll have both degrees and have very little debt (living expenses). The major cons for me are that I did undergrad at the same school which was a tough experience for me socially, and academically. Also, I'm not happy with the location and distance from the closest large/metropolitan city.

On the other hand, I'm a person who loves travel and has always dreamed about living abroad. I've already done quite a bit of travel so I'm comfortable being outside of the US. During my interviews, I identified so much more with the faculty and alumni from the UK schools and I feel like its going to be a better cultural fit overall. The drawbacks are that I'll need to apply to a separate PhD program after I finish the DVM (even more years of school), and Ill be a gazillion dollars in debt.

I feel ridiculous for even considering the UK schools when I have such a great opportunity in my hands but I'm really thinking about my quality of life and where I'd rather spend the first few years of my independent adult life.

I really appreciate any and all advice!! Thanks!
What. No tuition... at all? No student loans? And then you'll get paid for doing your PhD?

And you're wanting to compare that to having roughly $200,000 in student loans for tuition alone, not including very high living expenses. Don't get me wrong, I love travel- I do it all the time. But you're being offered a free education. It's obviously your choice, but I reeeeeeaaaaaaally think you need to do your IS (WHICH IS FREE).

If I were in that situation, I would do my DVM and my PhD at the school in the US, and if you still felt passionately about living overseas, you might be able to do research over there and officially move there after you graduate.

Reactions: 4 users
Go for the cheapest schooling and do some traveling once you're done. You'll thank yourself later if you go for the less debt option.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree +1 with both @cdoconn and @SkiOtter above.

After you complete your tuition-waived DVM education in the USA, you're free to travel elsewhere, with a professional degree that you can put to work nearly anywhere. You can use all of the money you will save (because your IS education will be free); and you can enjoy amazing vacations all over the world.

[FWIW, some of my UK-born colleagues eventually moved to the USA and they do not plan to return to the UK.]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user