Duty hours at UIC, Rush, Loyola, Advocate Illinois Masonic, and Presence Saint Francis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorQhGTBdoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting reliable, current information about the average number of hours per week worked by interns at each of these programs in Chicago. Current interns I talked to during the interview would estimate one number, alumni of the program would remember a different number, and FREIDA would report yet another wildly inconsistent amount.

So, can anyone provide additional data points for the following programs:

Presence Saint Francis (transitional year)
UIC (prelim internal medicine)
Rush (prelim internal medicine)
Loyola (prelim internal medicine)
Advocate Illinois Masonic (prelim internal medicine)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an intern at any of those programs, but I did interview/rotate at most of them. In general I'd go with the hours the current interns give you--alumni of the program went through it before new duty hour restrictions began, and who knows how often the FREIDA numbers get updated. But honestly if someone asked me how many hours on average I've been working, I'd only be able to give a rough estimate--so I think you have to take everything with a grain of salt. I think the important things to ask is if the residents feel overworked/regularly violate duty hours, and whether they feel they have enough free time. (And most important--are they happy?).

Otherwise all I can say about the programs is fairly general. Illinois Masonic residents seem to be happier than most prelim programs out there. UIC, Rush, and Loyola are all going to be working more/harder because they're busy university programs (in general university programs are busier than community programs, but not always), but the residents at each of those still seemed quite happy to me.

I would have been very happy at most of those programs, but I didn't want to stay in Chicago unless I matched to an advanced program in Chicago.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having trouble getting reliable, current information about the average number of hours per week worked by interns at each of these programs in Chicago. Current interns I talked to during the interview would estimate one number, alumni of the program would remember a different number, and FREIDA would report yet another wildly inconsistent amount.

So, can anyone provide additional data points for the following programs:

Presence Saint Francis (transitional year)
UIC (prelim internal medicine)
Rush (prelim internal medicine)
Loyola (prelim internal medicine)
Advocate Illinois Masonic (prelim internal medicine)

Thanks!

Did med school at Rush. terns there work 55-75 hours a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did med school at Rush. terns there work 55-75 hours a week.
don't know anything about these programs but 55-75 hours a week on ward months is gonna be pretty standard anywhere you go - you win some days, you lose some. just keep terning it out

I knew many people who did prelim at Loyola. You will be logging 80 hours per week for most of the ward blocks. if you know what I mean.

ya 55-75 is standard.. my program was closer to 55 for wards, closer to 70-75 icu.. never ever broke 80 and proud of it.. now i'm busting out a solid 45 every week in radiology

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are about to start internship. When you are on wards, ICU, or night float, you will work 70-90 hours a week depending on how heavy the service is and how efficient you are (which, as an intern, you are not).

"Cush" programs have a few more elective blocks which allow you a couple of extra 40-50 hour weeks and a couple less 70-90 hour weeks, but there will still be plenty of those. The lengths that people go to in order to try to get one of these programs is kind of silly IMO.

Get it through your head now that you will be entering a year of suck no matter what and you'll be better off. When looking for a program, look for collegial environment and location. Don't choose a program across the country simply because it has 3 months of electives instead of 2.

I knew many people who did prelim at Loyola. You will be logging 80 hours per week for most of the ward blocks. if you know what I mean.

Second this. Brutal hours at this program.

Reactions: 1 user