Dumb blonde moment (Q about Melvin Konner's "Becoming a Doctor")

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krevelli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok please remember your manners now people! It's just that I didn't see a disclaimer or whatever in "Becoming a Doctor" and since I'm not American (Swedish/Indian) and I don't know anything about the legal system in America but having heard plenty about how lawsuit-happy some people can be (esp in medical matters) I didn't get how he could mention all those names in the book. Or are they just pseudonyms? Can't they sue for defamation or whatever? Also, where the hey is Galen? I tried googling it but nada. What city was he in?

Members don't see this ad.

post deleted

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know Galen is Harvard? Did I miss something?

post deleted

Last edited:
thanxs so much, I finished that book like a month ago and I was wondering what medical school "galen" was.

post deleted

Last edited:
Originally posted by absolutezero
If you do some investigating on the web, you'll find that Konner who had previously taught anthropology at Harvard went to HMS in his early thirties. He now teaches psychiatry at emory.

He teaches anthro here at Emory. I think he used to do some work with Hospital's Dept of Pyschiatry but not any more. If you do some more research on the web and search for him www.emorywheel.com and www.ajc.com (refering to incidents in the Anthro Dept here and racial comment and also he wrote another editorial to AJC that seemed right on the money) you'll see that he's actually a reasonable person and just seems to come off bad to some people because of Becoming A Doctor.