Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carol ann

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am nearing the end of my interview season and trying to sort out my rank list. I'd love to read what other people who have interviewed at Duke have to say about this program.

Generally I like it a lot. I have some reservations of the team setup for the subspecialty team (intern-fellow-attending (NO RESIDENT)) and the 6-7 week rotation length during the JAR year. Please help me be offering your impressions.

Questions:
1. I know all about the short white coats for interns, but I noticed on my interview day I didn't see any residents in scrubs -- did anyone hear about an on-call scrub policy (can they wear them at all, or only after a certain time of day)

2. The residents were certainly the most driven that I met, but generally seemed personable. What was your sense of the atmosphere?

Those are my big questions -- I am not leaning towards a fellowship, so the whole prestige thing does not mean a lot to me. I am just looking for a great place to train with high quality residents and a reasonable atmosphere that emphasizes education.

C-A

Members don't see this ad.

carol ann said:
Questions:
1. I know all about the short white coats for interns, but I noticed on my interview day I didn't see any residents in scrubs -- did anyone hear about an on-call scrub policy (can they wear them at all, or only after a certain time of day)

2. The residents were certainly the most driven that I met, but generally seemed personable. What was your sense of the atmosphere?

I can answer some of your questions, although from a current student's perspective. Regarding scrubs, I'm not sure if there's an "official policy," but what's generally said and enforced is that you CAN wear scrubs while on call, but you MUST change out of them by morning rounds. I don't think scrubs are provided, but I'm not entirely sure.

Personally, I've found Medicine to be the most impressive department and program at Duke. Every attending I've met has been great, possessing not only a wealth of knowledge, but also being fortunate enough to actually be able to teach effectively. I'm always amazed at how such a large department can have such an astoundingly high percentage of truly amazing people. No other Duke program even comes close in my opinion. And the Chair is just unbelievable! His clinical skills are simply awe-inspiring, and he has a really cool accent! :)

I agree that the residents are all quite driven, and yet I've thoroughly enjoyed every single one I've worked with, as have the great majority of my classmates. I think Duke really strives to select people like this, and it shows! I love this program so much! The people are great, the education is unsurpassed, and the patient population is actually quite diverse. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be. In fact, I'll be applying to this program soon! :)

Are there any concerns about the volume of patients seen as a resident in the Duke system? From my interview day, seems that teams consist of 1 intern and 1 resident vs other systems where there are 3 or 4 interns per team. Granted, one's cross-cover is going to be substantial in this system, but with larger team systems, would there not be a better chance to know the patients even if they aren't yours on work rounds? Also, is there any disadvantage during rounds if there aren't fellow interns there with you to hear the presentations?

Thanks!