Duke University SOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
omores said:
It's entirely possible, but you have to be very resourceful. I've spent most of my time here carless -- my life is set up in such a way that I can do most anything via public transportation, which is easy when you live in one of the historic neighbourhoods near Duke. The only challenge is visiting friends who live the newer car-dependent neighbourhoods on the other side of town....

Let me know if you want more info -- I'll be happy to blather on at length any time after May 17th (Step 1 day!)

i'm also a Duke Med student living in an old house within walking distance to school/buslines/grocery (although I generally rely on my car). Check out the web site: http://communityhousing.duke.edu for lots of listings with places to live that are accessible, and aren't in a beige-on-beige apartment complex

Members don't see this ad.

good morning...bout to be away for awhile..heading to miami for a quick vaca...good luck and high hopes to everyone on the waitlist..may 15th has come and gone..keep the faith!!! :luck:

Duke's waitlist is starting to move. I just got a call from Richard Wallace. :)

YAH!

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is Richard Wallace??? Are you in NC?

Eyesayah55 said:
Duke's waitlist is starting to move. I just got a call from Richard Wallace. :)

YAH!

Dr. Donkey said:
Who is Richard Wallace??? Are you in NC?

Richard Wallace is the assistant director of admissions.

yuppers...I do live in NC.

yeah, I couldn't find his name in the MSAR but figured it out eventually. Congrats on the acceptance, I suppose you're taking it. Didn't you get into NW off the waitlist too?

Dr. Donkey said:
yeah, I couldn't find his name in the MSAR but figured it out eventually. Congrats on the acceptance, I suppose you're taking it. Didn't you get into NW off the waitlist too?

Thanks Dr. Donkey! Yah...I got off the NU waitlist just recently.

I actually haven't made the decision as to where I will go yet...I called the deans and they said that they will give me until the time my financial aid stuff is processed and they can tell me how much money they can give me. After that, I have to drop one.

Eyesayah55 said:
Thanks Dr. Donkey! Yah...I got off the NU waitlist just recently.

I actually haven't made the decision as to where I will go yet...I called the deans and they said that they will give me until the time my financial aid stuff is processed and they can tell me how much money they can give me. After that, I have to drop one.

Congrats Eesayah55! Maybe we'll see you in Durham this fall. :)

glad to hear that things are moving along..hope all is well. i am a definite blue devil..just got back from a mini-vaca in miami and my last day of work is next friday...soooooo DUKE SOM c/o 2009..here i come!! hooray! :D

Hi guys, Just got off the waitlist and am excited about Duke! Does anyone know what kind of housing options are availalbe? Also, I'm moving from NYC and looking for a car...

Thanks!

:oops: hey isabelle :oops:

congrats congrats congrats!!! check out the Duke COmmunity Housing links for Housing..also check out craigslist. This is a VERY abbreviated list of some of the places we visited during re-visit weeked, and some of them have specials. You can find out more about them in a simple google search: Woodstone, Croasdaile Crossings, the Lenox, Alexan Farms, The Verge, only to name a few. I am in boston and posted the place where i wanted to live on craigslist to find a roommate and all seems to be working out fine.. i also plan to check into craigslist for a car...you might want to do the same... from what i've heard, no matter how close to the school you live, you still basically need a car to get around to various places.. hope this helps and congrats again.

:D bumping us and just sayin' hey

LRmed2003 said:
:D bumping us and just sayin' hey

Hey! Just wanting to know who is planning on going to campout the weekend before orientation. I wish I could go but already had other plans before I found out about it. Is campout an annual event, and if so, where does it take place and has it been fun in the past? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I can't go to the campout either. I'd love to, though.

I have another question, is it 100% sure that Duke will be giving the first years laptops this year?

i believe the laptop info should be in your financial aid information; everyone gets laptops. and if you're like some of the people in our class (2008) you can spill coffee on your laptop the first day of orientation and then get a new one:) and a new one, and a new one.... For those of you thinking you can just get your own, etc... believe me what you're paying for is the insurance policy on them that will allow you to be set laptop-wise until you graduate.

the campout is fun; i didn't go last year. but it's supposed to be a good time:)

roommate website should be up soon; i've been asking too, b/c i'm looking for other medical students to share this townhouse i just bought. i'm hoping to have 1 or 2 roommates... so if there are two c/o 2009 women as yet starting to look for housing and interested, just pm me

hey all..

yay for more posts!!! I also called the Duke Med OIT to find out about the computers... EVERYONE in the incoming class gets the same laptop and it is all pre-loaded with software, etc, etc..

i will mos' def be at the campout..i am moving to durham ~july 14th. this will be my first apartment.. at some point i want to get a pool party together for the whole incoming class..i'm kinda social like that..but i can't wait to meet and re-meet everyone!! anyways..hope all is well.. :D

~L :D

Maybe you have already received this link but here is the the link to the new housing website...

http://medweb.duhs.duke.edu/housing/

I went to campout last year and it was a blast! The van ride over is a lot of fun and you get to know about 9 others and 2 upperclassmen really well, and then you are in tents together with random people so you get to them....activities for the day (I HIGHLY recommend rafting) again getting to know different people and the 2nd night a lot of the upperclassmen come up to the mountains and hang out and there are skits and different contests and things......(we will have OCY (orientation to clinical year) that weekend but I know people are still planning on coming up to see you guys)
If you can POSSIBLY go....GO!

I bet you are all getting excited to start....as I'm getting excited to finish 1st year and get onto the wards!
your first block should be pass/fail only, so it is a good time to get into the swing of things without trying to compete for honors (which in my case I NEVER competed for honors!)!! have a lot of fun...get to know your classmates as well as you can....go out whenever possible that 1st block...it just gets tougher (in my opinion) every week thereafter...

Question for you new Blue Devils - how many letters of recommendation does the Duke secondary ask for? I'll only have two letters from science profs that taught me (one additional from a research advisor), and I've heard that Duke requires three LORs from your science profs. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

Don't worry - your PI counts if it's three.

yup..I have 2 science letters and then one from a research PI and also our council letter from our health careers program.. it was quite a challenge b/c i wasn't a science major..

hey all just bumping and representing for the blue devils...yip-eeeeee

hey folks.... yesterday i got the call from duke that i am in off the waitlist. pretty kewl. thought i'd give y'all a shout out. still waiting on finaid info yet tho... not a done deal. yeah for me!

congrats seethrew...now we're rooting for laelia and all the others..ho hum..hope all is well..get those fin aid papers together folks..

~~L

Thanks LRmed! I am so excited to be finally posting to this thread, as I just got the call earlier this week! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :D

Just a few questions for you guys who are current students or have known you were going to Duke for a while. 1) Is the computer cost included in the financial aid budget? I was looking in the budget posted online, and the only place where I could see room for it is under "Miscellaneous". Are the computer choices listed somewhere online? Just curious! 2) I was thinking about living in Beech Lake apartments next year - any thoughts? 3) Is there a Duke Class of 2009 website?

Thanks!!! I am still giddy from getting the call!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Laelia said:
Thanks LRmed! I am so excited to be finally posting to this thread, as I just got the call earlier this week! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :D

Just a few questions for you guys who are current students or have known you were going to Duke for a while. 1) Is the computer cost included in the financial aid budget? I was looking in the budget posted online, and the only place where I could see room for it is under "Miscellaneous". Are the computer choices listed somewhere online? Just curious! 2) I was thinking about living in Beech Lake apartments next year - any thoughts? 3) Is there a Duke Class of 2009 website?

Thanks!!! I am still giddy from getting the call!!!!!!!! :laugh:

yes, there is a c/0 2009 thread in case no one has told you yet
umm the cost of the computer is in the financial aid package they give you...I got mine the other day and it said something like "technology fee" or something.....I am not sure if you HAVE to get the computer they are offering, but I would recommend doing that! People spilled coffee on their laptops 10 minutes after taking it out of the bag and they had new ones a few minutes later....I think as long as the screen is intact you can get a brand new one if yours ever completely died...and plus the tech people are right there in CTL (where all of your labs will be) so even the smallest issue can be fixed ASAP...can't say that if you have an IBM or something
I'm not a huge fan of Dell computers but this thing has been rock solid the entire year! NO PROBLEMS (knock on wood!)
Congrats to everyone again...if you have any more questions PM me or I check the forums regularly....

Hey Fellow Duke Folks!

I'm new to SDN and just found our Duke Thread! I am DEFINITELY going to Duke (I was accepted last year and deferred) After traveling all year and goofing off, I am really excited to start school! HOW 'BOUT YOU GUYS?

I was at Second Look Weekend, so I probably met several of you! I've been living in Durham for about 3 months now, so if any of you need anything or have any questions about Durham, let me know!

Definitely planning on attending the Campout! See you guys soon!

flashMD said:
Hey Fellow Duke Folks!

I'm new to SDN and just found our Duke Thread! I am DEFINITELY going to Duke (I was accepted last year and deferred) After traveling all year and goofing off, I am really excited to start school! HOW 'BOUT YOU GUYS?

I was at Second Look Weekend, so I probably met several of you! I've been living in Durham for about 3 months now, so if any of you need anything or have any questions about Durham, let me know!

Definitely planning on attending the Campout! See you guys soon!
I was accepted this year and deferred!

NubianPrincess said:
I was accepted this year and deferred!

So you'll start August 2006? What are your plans? HAVE LOTS OF FUN...it goes way too fast!

Just trying to get a little poll/head count going. How many of you are going to the Campout?

Bump...who's out there?

Hey flashMD..

it looks like you took over for me on the bumping of the thread.. it's good to see someone else out there cars.. ;) . Anyway, I will definitely be at the cookout..I just finished the book "We Are All the Same," that they sent us..hmm what else? i am moving to durham 'round bout the 15th of july..have no idea how i am going to get all my stuff there since uhaul is talking about $700 for a one-way rental...craziness!!! anyway, hope all is well and folks are excited..see ya'll soon!!!

~L

That's right, I guess I'm the official new bumper! I can't believe you finished the book already! I decided I'd put it off until closer to orientation. Oh no, I'm procrastinating ALREADY! That can't be a good sign :) Good luck with your move...yeah, Uhaul pretty much STINKS! They know that they can stick it to you cause everyone has to move sometime! Did you figure out where you are living? Where is everyone else living? So far Durham seems pretty cool...though it's really HOT and HUMID! (I'm kind of a sissy though, been in Cali the last 5 years!) Can't wait to see you all and get started!

LRmed2003 said:
Hey flashMD..

it looks like you took over for me on the bumping of the thread.. it's good to see someone else out there cars.. ;) . Anyway, I will definitely be at the cookout..I just finished the book "We Are All the Same," that they sent us..hmm what else? i am moving to durham 'round bout the 15th of july..have no idea how i am going to get all my stuff there since uhaul is talking about $700 for a one-way rental...craziness!!! anyway, hope all is well and folks are excited..see ya'll soon!!!

~L

flashMD said:
That's right, I guess I'm the official new bumper! I can't believe you finished the book already! I decided I'd put it off until closer to orientation. Oh no, I'm procrastinating ALREADY! That can't be a good sign :) Good luck with your move...yeah, Uhaul pretty much STINKS! They know that they can stick it to you cause everyone has to move sometime! Did you figure out where you are living? Where is everyone else living? So far Durham seems pretty cool...though it's really HOT and HUMID! (I'm kind of a sissy though, been in Cali the last 5 years!) Can't wait to see you all and get started!

We didn't talk about the book until the author came and spoke during lunch about 5 months into the school year, but the book we read was incredibly beneficial regardless of whether or not you are "graded" on reading it! (which you aren't for the gunners out there...or are you?)

DukeDoc08 said:
We didn't talk about the book until the author came and spoke during lunch about 5 months into the school year, but the book we read was incredibly beneficial regardless of whether or not you are "graded" on reading it! (which you aren't for the gunners out there...or are you?)

I just found my copy of what we read last year...I highly recommend it because it really helps you understand where some African Americans are coming from on the issues of death, dying, and health care. the author is a prof at Duke I believe

Passed on: African American Mourning Stories a Memorial
by Karla F. C. Holloway

I think the 1st chapter or something is on Amazon.com

Enjoy your 1st year!! We are almost done with our 1st year at Duke (Friday is the last exam), and it has flown by. I cannot express in words how fast time has passed us by. They say that it only gets faster...I cannot imagine!
It sounds crazy, but I envy you guys that are just starting...it was so awesome for me to sit in the amphitheatre for the 1st time and know that I was at Duke and in 4 years I would called "doctor"
there were plenty of times when I was stressed or frustrated because my work did not translate into higher grades, but I always tried to maintain that initial excitement and think about how blessed I was to have this opportunity. I hope that all of you are just giddy with excitement to be at DUke and start medical school and I also hope that giddiness stays with you every day!!
Geez, there are so many things I want to say, tips and warnings but it would take too long to type out...BUT I am sure that you will get 99% of everything we have to offer you guys during campout and orientation
ASK QUESTIONS WHENEVER YOU THINK OF THEM because we all just want to help you out (as does the administration!)
I'll be back, I like to come to this thread and relive the joy and nervousness that I had last year at this time!

DukeDoc08 said:
Geez, there are so many things I want to say, tips and warnings but it would take too long to type out...BUT I am sure that you will get 99% of everything we have to offer you guys during campout and orientation
ASK QUESTIONS WHENEVER YOU THINK OF THEM because we all just want to help you out (as does the administration!)

It makes me feel really good about coming to Duke when I can feel your excitement exploding off the screen...even after what I believe to be the most difficult year of the 4 at Duke! As for the tips/warnings...how many upperclassmen will be coming along for campout? Will we have a chance to meet some of you guys then?

Thanks for your enthusiasm...it makes me even more psyched! Keep the tips coming! And, GOOD LUCK on your LAST EXAM!!!

flashMD said:
It makes me feel really good about coming to Duke when I can feel your excitement exploding off the screen...even after what I believe to be the most difficult year of the 4 at Duke! As for the tips/warnings...how many upperclassmen will be coming along for campout? Will we have a chance to meet some of you guys then?

Thanks for your enthusiasm...it makes me even more psyched! Keep the tips coming! And, GOOD LUCK on your LAST EXAM!!!

well, I THINK there will be plenty of people coming to the campout...of course there is the usualy number of people that are just essential for the trip to even happen and then Saturday afternoon and evening some more people will come up.
The problem...and I'm a little hazy about the details...is that the schedule is a little different in that our orientation to clinical year overlaps with campout..or something like that, but my classmates are VERY excited about campout and short of missing our pelvic exam training...we'll be there!
On the drive over to the mountains there is a driver and co-pilot, so from minute 1 you will have 2 people to talk to, but a lot of campout is getting to know one another, so if you had a choice of talking to a future classmate and talking to an upperclassman...talk to the classmate...you will have a lot of time during orientation to ask questions of us, and all of you will be assigned a "big sib" that will be your go to resource
AND if you are in town during our OCY we will be going out a lot.
the beauty is that Duke is a crescendo (spelling?) you start with a pass/fail block of genetics, molecules, biochem...and this is a good time to go out and meet people, ask questions...enjoy life a little bit (but try not to get behind...try to set a good study pace that you can keep up with the whole year....)
I'm glad my excitement jumps off the screen and it is 100% genuine! Yes 1st year will rock many of your worlds, take you out of your comfort zone, maybe be your first blatant F, but there is ALWAYS a light at the end of the tunnel because it is only 1 year of classes....AMEN!

DukeDoc08 said:
the beauty is that Duke is a crescendo (spelling?) you start with a pass/fail block of genetics, molecules, biochem...and this is a good time to go out and meet people, ask questions...enjoy life a little bit (but try not to get behind...try to set a good study pace that you can keep up with the whole year....)]

Campout sounds great! I can't wait...

Quick question about the grading. What is up with the whole Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail etc.? I mean, it is pretty much a A,B,C,D,F grading system. How competitive does this really make things? Are these grades determined on a curve (tend to be more competitive) or are there % cutoffs (ie everyone over a 90% gets honors---which would tend to be more collaborative/less competitive). ALL of the other Top 10 schools I was considering were P/F and a few H/P/F for clinical...why has Duke broken the grading down so much?

I've heard that some of the courses (due to new curriculum etc.) were not very upfront about grading early on...I'm sure this would make things even more difficult as you are not sure what is expected of you.

So, what's the real deal?

flashMD said:
So you'll start August 2006? What are your plans? HAVE LOTS OF FUN...it goes way too fast!
I'll be working, saving, learning to drive :)

NubianPrincess said:
I'll be working, saving, learning to drive :)

Don't save too much...it may hurt you come financial aid time :)

flashMD said:
DukeDoc08 said:
the beauty is that Duke is a crescendo (spelling?) you start with a pass/fail block of genetics, molecules, biochem...and this is a good time to go out and meet people, ask questions...enjoy life a little bit (but try not to get behind...try to set a good study pace that you can keep up with the whole year....)]

Campout sounds great! I can't wait...

Quick question about the grading. What is up with the whole Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail etc.? I mean, it is pretty much a A,B,C,D,F grading system. How competitive does this really make things? Are these grades determined on a curve (tend to be more competitive) or are there % cutoffs (ie everyone over a 90% gets honors---which would tend to be more collaborative/less competitive). ALL of the other Top 10 schools I was considering were P/F and a few H/P/F for clinical...why has Duke broken the grading down so much?

I've heard that some of the courses (due to new curriculum etc.) were not very upfront about grading early on...I'm sure this would make things even more difficult as you are not sure what is expected of you.

So, what's the real deal?

Well, 1st block is Pass/Fail
2nd block is H/P/F
3rd block is H/P/F
THIS year (since it was the 1st on the new curric, I can't say what will go on next year) block 2 had a percentage cutoff that was H (90%) and that 90% grade included all of the test, practicals, microscope exams, EVERYTHING
block 3 had a small caveat to the H/P/F in that if you did well in labs (each of several lab "courses" were H/P/F) you didn't have to score as high on the lecture exams to get H (if you got all honors in all of the lab courses then you would only need an 85 to get honors for the whole block)
at the end of the year you have 3 grades on your transcript (and any comments that the course directors choose to write which usually aren't anything but if you happened to make honors or do particularly well in one part of the block, because they are HUGE blocks that encompass a lot of different subjects, they might put that down in the comments section)
I don't think Duke is competitive at all, although I believe as the year has gone on people have gotten lazier about sending notes, study materials, good websites, ect out to the whole class, but the in class atmosphere is not competitive at all!

So, what's up with the "high pass" distinction? I've read about that in our handbook.

ALSO, WHEN DO WE TAKE STEP I? I've heard after 1st year and during 3rd year. Which one is it?

Thanks!

flashMD said:
So, what's up with the "high pass" distinction? I've read about that in our handbook.

ALSO, WHEN DO WE TAKE STEP I? I've heard after 1st year and during 3rd year. Which one is it?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about high pass...maybe we have that next year (2nd year) but I'm not sure...
Unless they changed the grading system from this year, but we did NOT have any block that had high pass...only P/F or H/P/F

step I at Duke is taken during your THIRD year!!!
I mentioned a step I exam I took last week but that is just a practice one so Duke knows how they are teaching us and if they are covering all of the info
they ask that you don't study for it so they get a good feel for how well they are teaching us not how well we can study and be gunners on a practice step I exam (it was fully proctored and I guess it was made of old retired questions from step I...it was 4 hours on a Friday afternoon the Friday before an exam on Monday and last day of classes on Tuesday....I don't think people had time to study for it) it was fun to see what the boards will be like
I'm taking one day at a time...I guess I'll find out about the grading system for 2nd year during orientation to clinical year.

ramblinwreckie said:
here. here. man, i hate finding housing. i'm so lazy.

I just signed a lease at a great apartment:

www.loftsatlakeview.com

A bit pricey for Durham, but *much* cheaper than what I'm paying in NYC (including the 2 months free at signing).

Check it out and be my new neighbor!

DukeDoc08 said:
I'm not sure about high pass...maybe we have that next year (2nd year) but I'm not sure...
Unless they changed the grading system from this year, but we did NOT have any block that had high pass...only P/F or H/P/F

Yes, it's true, the grading for clinical clerkships at Duke is honors/high pass/pass/low pass/fail. Up until this year, only honors/pass/fail was reported on your external transcript though, and the high pass/low pass thing was used for internal purposes only, to help with writing your "Dean's Letter" when you apply for residency. But I've heard that starting this year the external transcripts will also show the high pass; the low pass still will not be reported externally. Honestly, the grading system doesn't matter much at all. It seems like almost everyone gets high pass, and a select few get honors, which varies a great deal from rotation to rotation. Plus, regardless of your actual clerkship grades, you get specific comments about your performance, which make up a good chunk of the comments in your "Dean's Letter." These are just as important as your actual grade. I know it sounds like A/B/C/D/F, but it's really quite different, because you're learning medicine, working together, and you're at a top 10 med school. And as DukeDoc said, the first-year grading is P/F for the whole first block, and then H/P/F afterwards. Plus, RESIDENCY PROGRAMS DON'T CARE HOW YOU DO FIRST YEAR! (unless of course you fail and have to repeat it) And to be honest, it's not going to help you much on the wards, because that's a whole different ballgame.

Duke students generally take Step 1 during their 3rd year. There's no set time to do it, so people often just schedule it in with their research, or take it at the very end of 2nd year, or even during a vacation period of 3rd year. It works out really well since it's so flexible, and it's really not a big deal to fit it in for most people. And from what I hear, Duke has the #2 highest board score average in the country, below Penn (last I heard, our avg was 234!!!)