Duke (off of waitlist) v Dartmouth for premed?

dtinox

Reaction score
Title basically says it all; I'm having a really hard time deciding since I fell in love with Dartmouth but got off the waitlist at Duke recently. Cost is the same at both schools so it's not a factor. Majoring in neuroscience, big interest in research and community service.

Dartmouth
Pros
- D-Plan means I can take off the quarter when I'm studying for the MCAT
- Undergraduate focus on teaching, less competition for research positions
- Tight-knit undergrad community, already got to know quite a few people + one of the strongest alumni networks out there
- Probably only chance in my life I'll get to live somewhere rural + I really like snow

Cons
- Less premed support from what I can tell (this is a BIG one for me), e.g. advising, competition, involvement with student lives
- Fewer clubs that I'm interested in
- Rural area means fewer means of community service

Duke
Pros
- Higher ranked neuroscience program
- Better premed support services + a looooot of community service opportunities
- Duke medical complex is nearby, in the Research Triangle area
- More research opportunities on face, with actively posted ways to get involved
- More clubs that I'm interested in, especially for my niche hobbies

Cons
- More people, more competition (you have to apply for e v e r y t h i n g)
- Wayyyy more graduate students (1:1 undergrad-to-grad student, as opposed to a 4:1 at Dartmouth), worried I won't be as involved with research projects
- I don't really vibe with the semester system, but it's doable
- Culture in general seems to be less my kind of vibe, don't know the students as well

Does anyone have insight on which school would be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh forgot to mention, since I was initially waitlisted at Duke, I feel like I'm not as capable as the other students who got in, which might make things challenging when competing for research, clubs, etc. I'm not sure how true that is though