DUI and applying for residency

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope that forum members who have been in this situation (I'm certain the poster isn't the only one that this has ever happened to), will provide some thoughts. As always, you may PM them to me or otherwise indicate if you wish your responses to be anonymous.

Well, to make this the very least personal. My question is how does a DUI or two arrests affect the chances of getting into a residency program or medical licensing. NO convictions have been made but not sure of the outcome I am curious as to how this will truly affect someone in the medical field. A third year medical student getting ready to apply next year to a surgical residency with average scores I wonder if this is something that will drastically affect that. Even if the charges are reduced or dropped the arrest remains on record. I know DUI is a misdemeanor but still.. it is a substance issue and also not one but two. Any input, advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

posted anonymously for a member other than the OP. Sorry, I really don't know the answer to this, but would generally recommend consulting an attorney with expertise in this type of issue.

I am in a similar situation as yours. I am in my 3rd year of a pharmD program and am aware of what the Board of pharmacy does with 2 misdemeanors, but am more worried about how my school with handle it, as they are being very vague and nonspecific about my future (ability to do 4th year rotations).

How did things turn out for you?