duct laceration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cousin was playing college b-ball Wednesday and got a finger poked into his eye cutting his lower lid and lacrimal duct. He was brought to a nearby hospital and had a stent placed. Sounded fairly staight forward, but the doc told him 75% chance of full recovery.

Any insight? I am not sure if the doc was general ophtho, oculoplastics etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Patients usually do well after a canalicular repair with stents. Most patients have no problems with tearing after repair. A general ophthalmologist should be able to repair simple canalicular lacerations. See this case for details: http://www.eyerounds.org/case26.htm

In the case above, the injury was a dog bite instead of a finger; however, the mechanism of injury is similar.

The stent removal seems like it would be fairly invasive. Do you use general anesthesia? Also, I have read that the stent is left in for about three months, does this sound accurate?

Thanks, enjoyed the case report.

Members don't see this ad :)
tennik said:
The stent removal seems like it would be fairly invasive. Do you use general anesthesia? Also, I have read that the stent is left in for about three months, does this sound accurate?

Thanks, enjoyed the case report.

We try to leave the stent in for 6 months. The removal is not invasive, and can be done in the office. One snip and the stent slides out without any trouble.

Not to beat this thread into the ground, but patient now wants to return to basketball with risk of further trauma. I can't find info on how long to stay out, but if he wears goggles, it seems appropriate.

tennik said:
Not to beat this thread into the ground, but patient now wants to return to basketball with risk of further trauma. I can't find info on how long to stay out, but if he wears goggles, it seems appropriate.

After a couple of weeks, he can go back to playing basketball. Wearing goggles is a good idea.