Technology Dual Monitor Size

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RP29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be starting medical school in the fall and am beginning to gather components to build my work/study station.

I wish to have a desktop computer at my home with dual monitors. I don't currently have any monitors, and thus, want to buy identical monitors for the workstation.

Can anyone recommend an optimal size for the monitors? At first, I was thinking of going for 2 27 inch monitors, but realized that it might be too big. I figured might as well ask the experts :)

Thank you for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Join the big boys by getting a 24 Inch Dell Ultrasharp. It's on sale at Amazon for $280 a piece.

It's 1920x1200.

They also have the 23 inch for 200 bucks. These are the best monitors you could get in this price range.

Edit 1: If you are getting a 27 inch monitor---it should def be a 2560x1440 monitor--but those run in the price of 700 plus for decent quality ones. Lot of companies make 27 inch monitors but then put a disgustingly small 1080 resolution on it (ViewSonic for example).

Last edited:
I have two 24" monitors and they seem a little too big at times. I think 27" would be overkill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I will be starting medical school in the fall and am beginning to gather components to build my work/study station.

I wish to have a desktop computer at my home with dual monitors. I don't currently have any monitors, and thus, want to buy identical monitors for the workstation.

Can anyone recommend an optimal size for the monitors? At first, I was thinking of going for 2 27 inch monitors, but realized that it might be too big. I figured might as well ask the experts :)

Why.... What are you planning on doing that requires two VERY large monitors? Honestly, a 13" MBP is the most common item for people to have. The second would probably be an iPad. I have a second monitor that I used to hook up to my MBP for doing music production. It's back home. I've considered bringing it to school, but it would be far more than I need and would take up valuable space in my apt and (more importantly) on my desk. I'd rather have a relatively clear desk with a mobile laptop. Big monitors would just be silly to buy for med school, IMO...

Why.... What are you planning on doing that requires two VERY large monitors? Honestly, a 13" MBP is the most common item for people to have. The second would probably be an iPad. I have a second monitor that I used to hook up to my MBP for doing music production. It's back home. I've considered bringing it to school, but it would be far more than I need and would take up valuable space in my apt and (more importantly) on my desk. I'd rather have a relatively clear desk with a mobile laptop. Big monitors would just be silly to buy for med school, IMO...

Because if I can't view histo images in "100% pure HD" then I will fail and be a horrible doctor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

I would opt for a 15" laptop.

Are you trading options in your spare time?

Well, I do know students who study at home exclusively...

I think you're best off getting a laptop and then buying one LCD screen to extend your view-able area while you're at home. For example, you might want onenote on one screen to take notes of a lecture on the other screen.

But hey if you have oodles of money to spend (b/c every medical student does...) why not.

to stream bball/football/baseball games while trying to study at the same time, of course.

I have my laptop and a 21ish in external monitor that I use. Works really great for me. A 27" would be way too big for me, and my desk is tiny

Thank you for all the feedback so far. I have a 13" macbook from 2009. It works fine, and I don't want to get another laptop at the moment.

My school podcasts lectures, thus, I don't think I will go to class. Therefore, I will most likely [hopefully] spend most of my time studying at home.

As I wrote earlier, I do think 2 27" monitors would be too big for me. Because I haven't started medical school, I don't know what the typical day of studying entails. I figure it wouldn't hurt to maybe have one screen for my notes with the other having my lectures open/being able to look things up for reference. Realistically, I figure going between 21"-24" would be the best option.

Also, I am a big sports fanatic, so it wouldn't hurt to stream a game every now and then!

all the better.

Grab a output dongle (if you don't have it already) for the MBP and buy a lcd monitor. You can pick the size.

voila.

I've done two around 21", and I really couldn't picture going much higher than 24," especially if you're just doing fairly normal stuff.

I've done two around 21", and I really couldn't picture going much higher than 24," especially if you're just doing fairly normal stuff.

18.4" alien ware mx18 and 21" lcd... Dual monitors are soon convenient that I really did know I needed or wanted it til I started using it with this setup (monitor was from my old computer, when I got my laptop decided to try it out, never want to go back...)

This all seems like personal preference and based on how much money you want to spend. If I could afford triple 27's or dual 30's I would in a heartbeat. I have a 15.4" Dell laptop @ 1680x1050, and I hook it up to a 20" monitor @ 1600x1200. It's decent. PowerPoint or PDF on one screen, web browser on another. Or watch a video on one screen full screen and take notes on the other.

I use Excel a lot, and if I could upgrade to a bigger monitor with higher resolution, I could see more of each spreadsheet on one screen without scrolling. I would think more people regret going too small than going too big. A wealthy buddy in college had a 30" Apple cinema display @ 2560x1600, and he could fit a ton of windows on one screen without having to go back and forth. Great if you do any Photoshop or video editing or anything else productive (Word, Excel, programming). And heck, if you watch the occasional movie, TV show, or YouTube video on the computer, bigger is better for relaxation.

I'm more in IT right now and often have a ton of Remote Desktop sessions on one screen or command prompts or terminal windows, and the bigger the monitor, the better.

I bet the OP has already started med school and made a purchase decision, but if I had a laptop and wanted just ONE monitor to go with it, I'd get as big as I could afford. 27" or 24".

Hi All,

Something key to know about using MBP and the Apple cinema displays -- they work seamlessly together, especially with a bluetooth mouse and a bluetooth keyboard. You can get a decent cinema display at a used price as well. If you can, get the 27 inch -- it will change your life! I wish I had it when I was in medical school. Again, it works seamlessly with the macbook laptops. If you have an Apple laptop the non-apple displays don't work as well.

- Iltifat

Editor in Chief, iMedicalApps.com
Twitter: iltifatMD

Hi All,

Something key to know about using MBP and the Apple cinema displays -- they work seamlessly together, especially with a bluetooth mouse and a bluetooth keyboard. You can get a decent cinema display at a used price as well. If you can, get the 27 inch -- it will change your life! I wish I had it when I was in medical school. Again, it works seamlessly with the macbook laptops. If you have an Apple laptop the non-apple displays don't work as well.

- Iltifat

Editor in Chief, iMedicalApps.com
Twitter: iltifatMD

I use two 24" monitors and it works ideally. I wouldn't go much bigger though as reasons posted above (too expensive and I don't think it makes much difference)

Go for it Op. I love technology to the bits too. And it makes studying smoother. :thumbup: