Dual credentialed PT/ATC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FarrJean

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have always been interested in pursuing physical therapy as a career, and I still am. But recently I have done more research on the field of athletic training and I have become interested in this as well. Are there any dual credentialed physical therapist/ athletic trainers out there? How did you go about schooling? ATC first then DPT? What are the pros and cons of being dual credentialed? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There aren’t any in my cohort but the cohorts above me in my program have ATCs!! I think they might’ve done it for their undergraduate degree so the process might be a bit different now that most AT programs are switching to masters only, but personally I feel like going for the masters then the doctorate makes the most sense!

There are two schools I know of that offer a dual degree program for DPT/AT degrees, Shenandoah University and Idaho State. Definitely look into them! I work with a DPT/AT who did AT and then DPT.