Dual Citizen applying to Canada and US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lampy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I was wondering if anyone knows how I, a dual citizen who has always lived in the US, but my mom and her family live in BC, would be considered if I applied to Canadian med schools? For example, I know I could apply to McGill as they accept international students (I think I am one of these? But a lot of the lingo gets tossed up with permanent resident status, which I have as a dual citizen), but could I apply to schools like UBC, that don't accept any international applicants.

Ideally, I would maintain my Florida residency for AMCAS just because there are more instate schools here than in province ones in Canada would be for me.

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to any Canadian schools but likely won't have in-province status since you've lived in US mostly. UBC, as with most schools other than Ontario, favours in-province students. You will be considered out-of-province but not international student when you apply. Harder but not impossible depending on your GPA and extracurriculars.

I would additionally apply to Ontario schools since most don't have as much in-province preferences.

Reactions: 1 user
@s5260205 I also hold a dual-citizenship and I've lived all my life in Québec, except for the past 2 years where I've been living in the US. If I end up applying to Canadian medical schools, would my odds be equivalent to a Canadian who's residing in Canada?

Members don't see this ad :)
@s5260205 I also hold a dual-citizenship and I've lived all my life in Québec, except for the past 2 years where I've been living in the US. If I end up applying to Canadian medical schools, would my odds be equivalent to a Canadian who's residing in Canada?
Not as familiar as Quebec medical schools except McGill. In general, each school defines its own criteria for in-province status. For example, the criteria for UBC can be found here. You would be considered out-of-province if you don't meet this criteria but are definitely still eligible to apply, albeit requiring more competitive stats. Some schools don't give in-province preference, University of Toronto as an example. If returning to Canada is the goal, it doesn't hurt to widely apply to Canadian schools. Worst case scenario is loss of application feees, which isn't that much in the grand scheme.

Reactions: 1 user
Not as familiar as Quebec medical schools except McGill. In general, each school defines its own criteria for in-province status. For example, the criteria for UBC can be found here. You would be considered out-of-province if you don't meet this criteria but are definitely still eligible to apply, albeit requiring more competitive stats. Some schools don't give in-province preference, University of Toronto as an example. If returning to Canada is the goal, it doesn't hurt to widely apply to Canadian schools. Worst case scenario is loss of application feees, which isn't that much in the grand scheme.
Thank you very much. Do you by any chance have details for McGill for my situation then?
Thank you once again!

Thank you very much. Do you by any chance have details for McGill for my situation then?
Thank you once again!

Just based on seat allocation, very competitive if you are not Quebec resident. Definition of Quebec residency is also on McGill website.

If you are a Canadian PR, even if you are a US citizen, you count as a citizen for med school applications, so you could apply anywhere.