Dual board certification (IE: BCPS + specialty)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tungsten87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on dual board certification. I am finishing my PGY-1 now and will be completing a PGY-2 in oncology. I will definitely get BCOP certified after, but was wondering the pros/cons of taking the time to study for and pass BCPS during my PGY-2 year. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

it costs a lot of money to maintain both...

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you need both? More letters behind your name doesn't make you a better pharmacist. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
BPS is a cash cow. Just wait and get the BCOP. $600 per exam, $100 fee each year, plus cost of recertification credit....

Reactions: 1 users
I went on and took the BCPS during my PGY2 year. Not sure if it has been a deciding factor, but several job interviewers were commented that they were impressed that I went on and took the test. Also, my institution pays for the test if you pass, so I wasn't out the $600.

Reactions: 1 users
I went on and took the BCPS during my PGY2 year. Not sure if it has been a deciding factor, but several job interviewers were commented that they were impressed that I went on and took the test. Also, my institution pays for the test if you pass, so I wasn't out the $600.
What's your PGY2 in? I think it would have made the job hunt a little easier but I ended getting something and they're going to pay for it so nothing really lost. Just more time studying. :p

What's your PGY2 in? I think it would have made the job hunt a little easier but I ended getting something and they're going to pay for it so nothing really lost. Just more time studying. :p

My PGY2 is in Pediatrics. I am going to take the BCPPS this year and probably let the BCPS lapse at 7 years. Then again, if the next place pays for it I might take the BCCCP (does this make anyone else think Soviet Union?) in a couple years as I am in pediatric critical care. Then I could keep them all and be Pharm.D., BCPS, BCPPS, BCCCP just for the heck of it... or not.

BTW, The letters may not mean much in reality, but an interviewer told me that they like to see the letters on residency preceptor's names on CVs because it gives them an idea of the kind of people you rotated with when they don't have anything else to go on. Speciality letters (BCNSP, BCPP, BCOP) seem to mean more than BCPS, and things like FCCP and FASHP mean even more.

Reactions: 2 users
My PGY2 is in Pediatrics. I am going to take the BCPPS this year and probably let the BCPS lapse at 7 years. Then again, if the next place pays for it I might take the BCCCP (does this make anyone else think Soviet Union?) in a couple years as I am in pediatric critical care. Then I could keep them all and be Pharm.D., BCPS, BCPPS, BCCCP just for the heck of it... or not.

BTW, The letters may not mean much in reality, but an interviewer told me that they like to see the letters on residency preceptor's names on CVs because it gives them an idea of the kind of people you rotated with when they don't have anything else to go on. Speciality letters (BCNSP, BCPP, BCOP) seem to mean more than BCPS, and things like FCCP and FASHP mean even more.

Yeah, I always included the extra letters after the preceptor's names. I figured they earned them, I might as well be kind and include them.

I would wait to sit for BCOP. If you are planning to look for a job in oncology, BCPS will not help you. No need to waste your money, plus some institutions might pay for BCOP when you start working.

I think in today's market, anything to set you apart is gonna help.