D's or F's on Transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greenhermitrock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed that some podiatry schools require no less than a C on prerequisite courses. If I had a D in Chem II, but retook it and got a B, is that fine? Because I still got a D, and I'm not sure if podiatry schools permit retakes.

I know this is a stupid question to ask, but how many D's are considered to be allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I've noticed that some podiatry schools require no less than a C on prerequisite courses. If I had a D in Chem II, but retook it and got a B, is that fine? Because I still got a D, and I'm not sure if podiatry schools permit retakes.

I know this is a stupid question to ask, but how many D's are considered to be allowed?

Hey, welcome to the pod subsection.

You took a class twice and got: D first time then B second time?

Well it will be averaged when you do your podiatry applications but the B grade will be used to satisfy the prerequisite requirements. I some old emails I sent to a school and they explained it to me. If I find it I'll edit out the personals and post. Or you can contact the school yourself.

There's no cap on the amount of Ds. It just makes life harder for you the more Ds you have since it'll bring your grades down. Low grades means lower chance of admission and you'll have to do something extra like a postbacc or masters to make up for all the D's you have.

Hey, welcome to the pod subsection.

You took a class twice and got: D first time then B second time?

Well it will be averaged when you do your podiatry applications but the B grade will be used to satisfy the prerequisite requirements. I some old emails I sent to a school and they explained it to me. If I find it I'll edit out the personals and post. Or you can contact the school yourself.

There's no cap on the amount of Ds. It just makes life harder for you the more Ds you have since it'll bring your grades down. Low grades means lower chance of admission and you'll have to do something extra like a postbacc or masters to make up for all the D's you have.
Thanks for the fast reply!!!
I was asking the second question because I had a rough time this quarter and I'm anticipating 3 D's (Worst possible outcome). My current GPA is 3.216 and sGPA is 2.928. It will bring my GPA down, but if I were to retake and get A's, how would that fare? I messed up horribly earlier in the quarter, which barred me from getting an A and a B. If my final GPA and sGPA wounds up at 3.6, would it still be fine with those 4 D's? I know it's presumptuous to presume that I do well to get that GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to panic because no matter what, you can NEVER go back and change any of that it. It has happened already, so let it go and worry about what you can change going forward.

I have worse stats than you do.

I think you might be fine even if you applied this late. You'll be solid if you apply early next cycle too.

Bad semesters happen. Just be ready because in your interviews they may ask what happened.

With podiatry, retakes are not replaced. They are averaged so by retaking, your #s will not jump up by much since it will be averaged. You should really only retake if you're below that C required grade because unless you retake it, you won't have met the requirement. They'll count the higher passed grade to fulfill the requirement but it will still be averaged. To be clear: I got an F in Chem 1. I retook and got a B+. I have met the C (or better) required grade for Chem I but when I submit my app the F & B+ will be averaged for my science and overall GPA.

Yes, although those four Ds look bad, you'll still be fine. Your gpas of 3.2 & 2.9 aren't something we haven't seen before here on this sub-section.

If you're so set on redeeming yourself, take some classes this summer and do well in them. Or next fall--if you're still in school--take some upper level classes and get good grades.

Save some of your worrying for the MCAT.

Thanks for the fast reply!!!
I was asking the second question because I had a rough time this quarter and I'm anticipating 3 D's (Worst possible outcome). My current GPA is 3.216 and sGPA is 2.928. It will bring my GPA down, but if I were to retake and get A's, how would that fare? I messed up horribly earlier in the quarter, which barred me from getting an A and a B. If my final GPA and sGPA wounds up at 3.6, would it still be fine with those 4 D's? I know it's presumptuous to presume that I do well to get that GPA.
Just wanted to let you know that in terms of GPA calculation, unfortunately everything is averaged in. So even though you've retaken classes and gotten higher grades (which is great!) they will calculate that D into your GPA. It definitely sucks and I wish they would replace grades but unfortunately they don't. Just something to keep in mind!