Drug Rehab - TMDSAS Unique Circumstance Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling with deciding on what to write about for the optional "unique circumstance/experience" essay on TMDSAS. One unique circumstance I can think of is my brother being admitted to a drug rehab center when I was a teenager. Do you guys think this would be an appropriate space to discuss visiting him there and how this experience affected me/what I learned from all this?

Members don't see this ad.

Completing a thesis in a subject I had little prior knowledge about (outside of my major, only took one class in the subject during undergrad) is another topic I've considered.

Last edited:
I like the first one, assuming you talk more about yourself and your experience rather than your brother's.

The drug rehab story could be pretty interesting. I imagine some ADComs would read it and think, "Hmm something about drug rehab? Doesn't seem like the typical boring garbage we have to read all the time." And then proceed to read deeper.

Just don't make your family out to seem too dysfunctional.. and you by extension. You know what I mean.