DrPH vs PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCHawk10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone tell me what is the difference between the Doctor of Public Health degree (DrPH) versus a PhD in Public Health Sciences? Would it be accurate to say that the PhD is more teaching/research oriented and the DrPH is more applied. Would either degree qualify you for doctoral-level work in either the academic field or in health care organizations?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember posting my opinions awhile ago on this thread:
http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=213311

But, I think your dichotomy is pretty accurate. And, I think in most cases either would qualify you in either setting. In other words, I think neither would close doors for you. However, your choice of programs and projects/curriculum that leads to your dissertation and/or major practicum experience may be a way to indicate your commitment to a certain type of work. For example, if you knew you wanted to work in a State health dept, you might try to do an DrPH and find opportunities doing applied work and/or internships in that setting, so your future employers see that you have been committed to this for awhile. (Plus, it never hurts to have a clear career plan when you are applying because you want to communicate that in personal statements and interviews, and also to your (potential) advisor as soon as you enter the program).

DCHawk10 said:
Could someone tell me what is the difference between the Doctor of Public Health degree (DrPH) versus a PhD in Public Health Sciences? Would it be accurate to say that the PhD is more teaching/research oriented and the DrPH is more applied. Would either degree qualify you for doctoral-level work in either the academic field or in health care organizations?

I was actually told by my advisor (I'm halfway through my MPH) that the DrPH does not get a lot of respect in the field and really doesn't make sense. He said that the PhDs are the ones who get the respect, but yes, it is research based.

Members don't see this ad :)