This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinklemonade2121

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!
So I enrolled into an SMP in June. I was told that I would get a scholarship, however, after receiving the financial aid today I don't think I can afford it. I didn't include this in my primary application because I had wanted to see my financial aid first. Classes start next week. Do you think this will have a negative effect on my application if I drop the SMP? Should I notify the med schools I applied to letting them know I'm dropping?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

no no so I applied to MD and pod schools all at the same time while applying to my SMP( I just didn't want to have another gap year & was advised to do this). However, I cannot afford the SMP and I've managed to secure interviews for pod schools (my stats line up for pod schools).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I enrolled into an SMP in June. I was told that I would get a scholarship, however, after receiving the financial aid today I don't think I can afford it. I didn't include this in my primary application because I had wanted to see my financial aid first. Classes start next week. Do you think this will have a negative effect on my application if I drop the SMP? Should I notify the med schools I applied to letting them know I'm dropping?
Thank you!
Since you didn't mention the SMP on Primaries, how could dropping it have a negative effect if MD/DO schools don't know you planned to matriculate?

Reactions: 3 users
I had just wanted to double check. Since I checked old posts and some people had advised to let all med schools know. I did mention them briefly on my secondaries when they asked the question "what do you plan to do in your 2018-2019 school year" where I stated that I was enrolled in an SMP.

So you did tell them you were enrolled?
to the schools that asked that question, yes. I had just wanted to know if I should let them know during interviews or if I should email them ahead of time that I dropped due to financial reasons.

to the schools that asked that question, yes. I had just wanted to know if I should let them know during interviews or if I should email them ahead of time that I dropped due to financial reasons.
MD schools that know you are doing an SMP generally hold off making any decision on your file until you send in a fall transcript from the SMP. Unless you have already started some GPA repair for the year before entering the SMP, most will want to see the full year's transcript before making a decision (thus @Goro 's surprise that you applied to med schools before completing the program).

It's best that schools you've told you planned the SMP know about your change in plans before the end of the fall term. Some schools that are open to frequent updates (per their website) you can inform now. For the others, you can let them know in a mid-Fall, say Octoberish, update letter, when you have other relevant positive information to include in the same letter that might moderate this hit to your chances. JMO.

Reactions: 2 users
MD schools that know you are doing an SMP generally hold off making any decision on your file until you send in a fall transcript from the SMP. Unless you have already started some GPA repair for the year before entering the SMP, most will want to see the full year's transcript before making a decision (thus @Goro 's surprise that you applied to med schools before completing the program).

It's best that schools you've told you planned the SMP know about your change in plans before the end of the fall term. Some schools that are open to frequent updates (per their website) you can inform now. For the others, you can let them know in a mid-Fall, say Octoberish, update letter, when you have other relevant positive information to include in the same letter that might moderate this hit to your chances. JMO.
so even if classes have not started yet, I would still have to update the schools? I am currently working as a medical scribe. I also volunteer at a hospital, soup kitchen and animal shelter so hopefully it moderates that hit. Thank you for being so informative!

1) so even if classes have not started yet, I would still have to update the schools?

2) I am currently working as a medical scribe. I also volunteer at a hospital, soup kitchen and animal shelter so hopefully it moderates that hit. Thank you for being so informative!
1) What exactly did you say in the Secondaries where you mentioned the SMP? That you might start an SMP, or that you planned to start the SMP?

2) That all sounds very good.

Reactions: 1 user
You're welcome.

Have you informed the SMP that you won't be coming (and the reason)? Someone on its waitlist might like that spot, sooner rather than later.
Yes! I just informed them this morning and formally withdrew from the program already!

Reactions: 1 user