Dropout and do OTA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justalittle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm in need of some advice. Here's my situation (Sorry this is so long):

I started out at San Jose State, but had to take a semester off because of a family emergency. When I went back to school, I found that I missed my family too much and my parents needed me at home. So I transferred to a local CSU (same state school system) and am majoring in Kinesiology. Problems:

- I've been here a year and feel no closer to completing my degree
- Some of my gen ed classes from SJSU transferred over as plain old electives so I have had to retake a bunch of gen ed classes from which I have learned nothing
- I cannot get academic advising for my major! They don't take appointments, it's first come first served and only during times when I have class or work.
- If I can get the classes I need when I need them, it'll take me another 4-5 semesters to complete my degree
- I can never get the classes I need to take in my major because of my late registration due to transfer student status so it'll probably take even longer
- There isn't much you can do with just a BS in Kines, job-wise (at least nothing in the rehab field), which pretty much rules out working for a year or two to save money between undergrad and grad school
- I am getting so frustrated by the fact that I'm working so hard, but my goal of working in the field of OT is not getting closer
- I feel like I'm just wasting time and accumulating debt until I can get a good registration time

So I'm thinking of dropping out (I'm not going to lie to myself and call it transferring to community college) and getting my associate's in OTA. Facts:

- it'll take about the same amount of time as completing my BS (the program I'm looking at is 5 semesters, including fieldwork)
- it's much less expensive than completing my BS (for now)
- Once I complete the program, I'll be employable!
- I can work in the OT field and gain experience!

The plan is to work as an OTA for a couple of years, complete by BS while working, and then doing an OTA to MOT program. Or working for two-three years and saving money, then going to Stony Brook to complete both degrees in three years. The big selling point for me is that I'll be able to get experience in the field and make money while getting my BS. Right now, I make $10/hour.

Does this sound rational? I know dropping out is serious business and that a lot people never end up going back, but I have a specific plan, not just "work for a while, then finish school". What would you do in my position?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, that sounds a little weird that you're unable to get advising. It seems that something could be worked out. In any event, I'm a fiscal dude by nature so I would suggest the OTA-OT route.

Once employed (depending on your employer) they usually pay for your ceu's or classes. Some hospital systems pay a chunk of change for tuition which may be ideal in your situation. It just depends on salary/benefits package. Anyways, it seems that some bridge programs are quite flexible and you can work while earning your degree. That's a pretty smart way to get it done in my opinion. Not to mention the experience you'll have once you graduate. You can definitely use that to your advantage.

hi
your plan sounds pretty good to me. its good that your realized that its time for a change. Most people dont realize that until its to late but my suggestion is if your going to need five semesters to finish school try getting into an OT BS/MS program its like three more semesters rather than doing OTA. If you have the funds, it will save you the time of going back to school to complete MOT. but I guess if you dont have the funds i think its best to start out with OTA then MOT. Good luck :) where are you doing the OTA is it in NY?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for reassuring me. Dropping out of college to further a career that requires a master's degree just sounded so dumb, when said aloud. Also, the decision was fueled a lot by emotion as I was just getting frustrated and depressed that I wasn't going anywhere. I wanted to make sure the whole thing made sense from a more objective point of view.
Dude, that sounds a little weird that you're unable to get advising. It seems that something could be worked out.
I spent hours on the phone trying to set up an appointment or get advising over the phone. I think there must have been a misunderstanding somewhere, though, as I have trouble believing that there was only one person capable of giving academic advising in my major, which was what I was told repeatedly. Eventually, long after a specific issue passed, an advising email dialogue started. It wasn't very helpful, though. I'd prefer to do that sort of thing in person.

caduceus27 said:
...my suggestion is if your going to need five semesters to finish school try getting into an OT BS/MS program its like three more semesters rather than doing OTA. If you have the funds, it will save you the time of going back to school to complete MOT. but I guess if you dont have the funds i think its best to start out with OTA then MOT. Good luck where are you doing the OTA is it in NY?
Yeah, the money's an issue. Also, I don't want to go too far away from my parents right now (for medical reasons) and there aren't any OT BS/MS programs within driving distance of home. And no, I'm not doing my program in NY. I'm in CA. I'd love to do my MOT in NY, though. By then, my mother shouldn't need my help anymore.

I would say finish your BS first, but if money is an issue do the COTA and then finish your BS later. You will eventually have to go back for it if you want the MOT/MSOT later down the line.

I live in CA and I am starting a PT program in the fall, but my gf is doing the pre-req for OT right now. She has another job that is unrelated to OT, so she didn't want to waste time with OTA. She is volunteering to get experience though. I would suggest finishing all your pre-req at a CC, so that it is cheaper if you haven't already done so.

Depending on where you live there are only four OTA programs in the whole state. Most are in So Cal and they seem relatively inexpensive. I say go for it and good luck. If you have any Q's let me know.

I had a BA of crap grades when I went back for a COTA shingle, at 27.

Go full steam ahead for your BS or BS/MS in anything. It the OTA falls in line along the way, great. But get the best degree you can now- and if you can afford it, put school AHEAD of work. As soon as you put work full time you will buy stuff and then have to support that kind of life, if you know what i mean.

You can get your OTA if you want. But waiting tables while you go for your Bachelors could be simpler for someone going back to school for their masters and more flexible/ lucrative too. When I called up programs over the last 10 years, my mentioning I have an OTA shingle meant nothing to them.. They wanted to see my grades in school. That's how they determines who gets in. Some said they would give the more recent grades stronger consideration, some said it's all equeal. All heart.

And if you find something else you like, you didnt paint yourself into a corner. not as much anyway.

COTA school involves 2 12-week internships. No pay. You pay them.
OT school involves 2 12-week internships. No pay. You pay them.
You don't want to do this too often.
I hope youre younger than older, this will help things.

Which program are you interested in at SB?
Maybe work on residency right away if you are serious about it.