This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotus_73

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently a sophomore in college. I've found the transition from high school to college quite difficult, especially relating to science classes and as such my gpa has suffered quite a bit (3C's, 4B's, 1A). A big part of why my GPA suffered so much was related to ineffective studying methods, which I slowly started to fix.

This semester I was quite optimistic that i'd finally figured out how best to study. I have A's in all my classes, including another science one, but just got my test results back from my first Orgo exam and I got a very low F. I've been studying for that test since the semester started and understood the material to the point where I would be teaching the material to my fellow classmates (who ironically scored higher than me). After taking the exam I expected a B-C, definitely not an F.

I plan on going to speak to the professor, up the amount of hours I study for Orgo up a notch and possibly hire a tutor. However, i'm worried about the damage another C will do to my GPA. If I were to score 80% on the remaining three exams, plus my lab, i'd barely pass the class with a B. It's doable, but i'm not sure if it's worth the risk. Then again, a W might look equally as bad.

Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm currently a sophomore in college. I've found the transition from high school to college quite difficult, especially relating to science classes and as such my gpa has suffered quite a bit (3C's, 4B's, 1A). A big part of why my GPA suffered so much was related to ineffective studying methods, which I slowly started to fix.

This semester I was quite optimistic that i'd finally figured out how best to study. I have A's in all my classes, including another science one, but just got my test results back from my first Orgo exam and I got a very low F. I've been studying for that test since the semester started and understood the material to the point where I would be teaching the material to my fellow classmates (who ironically scored higher than me). After taking the exam I expected a B-C, definitely not an F.

I plan on going to speak to the professor, up the amount of hours I study for Orgo up a notch and possibly hire a tutor. However, i'm worried about the damage another C will do to my GPA. If I were to score 80% on the remaining three exams, plus my lab, i'd barely pass the class with a B. It's doable, but i'm not sure if it's worth the risk. Then again, a W might look equally as bad.

Any advice??
Well I don't have experience with orgo BUT from my time here, it seems that an average student can get an A if they study at least 3-4hrs for that class alone daily. You might need more, but shouldn't go less at this point. And how are you studying? For stuff like chem, after learning the material you should do tons of practice questions, just google them!

Reactions: 1 user
Well I don't have experience with orgo BUT from my time here, it seems that an average student can get an A if they study at least 3-4hrs for that class alone daily. You might need more, but shouldn't go less at this point. And how are you studying? For stuff like chem, after learning the material you should do tons of practice questions, just google them!
Thanks for answering back! That seems like pretty solid advice. I get home at about 5pm everyday though and have class the next day at 8am, so id find it difficult to only study for orgo 4 or 5 hours on weekdays (which is more or less the time I spend total) but idk, might have to take you up on it if all else fails. Any tips on time management? My labs and other classes seem to also demand a lot of my time.

I preread before the lectures, which I attend, and I have 2 workbooks from which I practice and do exercises. I also write out a review from whatever I highlighted from the textbook. I have all the reading and exercises done a week before the exam and I spend the remaining time doing practice exams and reviewing. This method worked okay for Orgo1, but it was a different professor so maybe that has to do with it. Weekly id say I study for Orgo for about 7-8 hours, not counting lectures.