droopy eyebrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a case of preseptal cellulitis (or so I think) on saturday night. It got pretty bad on sunday. It was entirely on my right lower lid, but I noticed the skin below my right eyebrow was a little droopy for some reason and was hanging down a bit onto the top of my eye. I figured it was just from the swelling. My right eyebrow wasn't obviously droopy though, but if I looked at it long enough I could convince myself that it was slightly lower then the left.

Anyway, I was studying for a test, so I decided not to go the ER and just take a Zithromax Z-pack that my roommate had lying around. It seems to have done the trick, there's no more pain or signs of infection. However, the skin under my eyebrow is still drooping down onto the top of my eye for some reason. It's not really that bad, but it makes for sort of an annoying sensation of pressure on top of my eye.

Anybody know why this is, or how long it takes to resolve? Any chance the Z-pack didn't finish the job?

Members don't see this ad.

Sledge2005 said:
I got a case of preseptal cellulitis (or so I think) on saturday night. It got pretty bad on sunday. It was entirely on my right lower lid, but I noticed the skin below my right eyebrow was a little droopy for some reason and was hanging down a bit onto the top of my eye. I figured it was just from the swelling. My right eyebrow wasn't obviously droopy though, but if I looked at it long enough I could convince myself that it was slightly lower then the left.

Anyway, I was studying for a test, so I decided not to go the ER and just take a Zithromax Z-pack that my roommate had lying around. It seems to have done the trick, there's no more pain or signs of infection. However, the skin under my eyebrow is still drooping down onto the top of my eye for some reason. It's not really that bad, but it makes for sort of an annoying sensation of pressure on top of my eye.

Anybody know why this is, or how long it takes to resolve? Any chance the Z-pack didn't finish the job?

It's pretty uncommon for a fit young pt to develop spontaneous preseptal cellulitis - there must be a reason.
Do you have symptoms of sinusitis?
The commonest reason for your symptoms would in my experience be a chalazion causing swelling, rather than true infective preseptal cellulitis.
Get someone to have a look under the slit lamp & see if your meibomian glands are obstructed & flip the lid to see if there is a subtle lump.

?recent local trauma
(You don't sound like the sort of person that would have an eyebrow piercing ;) )

It may have been the only thing lying around, but why Azithromycin? At my hospital at least, that is only used for one thing:

Restricted benefit: Trachoma
Restricted benefit: Urethritis / cervicitis due to Chlamydia trachomatis

Is there something your roommate is not telling you? ;)

Eyelid swelling takes a long time to resolve because the skin is so loose with minimal attachments to underlying connective tissue.
Hope it all turns out well.

I've seen a few chalazions and it didn't look anything like them, but who knows. My allergies have been horrendous for the past couple weeks and I've been blowing my nose so much that it's been bleeding. In retrospect maybe I did have some sinusitis, especially considering that my allergies seem to have suddenly gotten a lot better since taking the abx.

Thanks for the info about the connective tissue though, now it makes sense as to why that part of myeye still looks different.

Hopefully my roommate didn't give me the z-pack he was supposed to have taken to treat his std's!