Drexel University College of Medicine Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aferrara

Drexel Med '15
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All, Just wanted to get a thread started. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know it's early, but has anyone chosen the PIL track?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Anthony Ferrara, nice to meet you. Did you get the email today about going to the school for a day and shadowing a first year?

I chose the PIL track as well, but will not be able to head out to Philly. I'm gonna set up a phone appt., but any info one the "shadowing" day would be appreciated.

-----
-Drexel Class of 2015

I am doing PIL and it's awesome and IMO all PIL student should also get a "PhD" at the end of the program if they choose to do a few years of research. Best program ever and its main focus is on ANALYTICAL thinking!!!

If you have questions, do not hesitate to pm me or whatever! I will reply whenever I have the time!

Again, congrats!

Chewie: I'm heading down on Feb 11th. I'll post how it goes.
Robu: Thanks for the info. Do you have any advice on apartments in the East Falls area or surrounding neighborhoods? Also what books/equipment are we expected to get for the first year?

Hey, my name is Brittany. I didn't get any email about the "shadowing day" thing...hmmm

They should have sent it to the email you put down on the form when you signed up for PIL. Otherwise it would have gone to your amcas email I guess.

Also accepted and also chose PIL! I like that there's PBL and still a considerable amount of lecture time - it's good to have both IMO.

I'm attending the shadowing day on 2/4. I'll post anything interesting I learn then, and thanks to Robu for being willing to answer our questions.

Do you all think you'll be going to Drexel? I interviewed a few other places and won't hear from them until Feb-March, so it's still up in the air if I'll be attending. I am heavily leaning toward Drexel though.

And somebody beat me to making a FB page. Oh well.

Last edited:
Just accepted!! Also interested in doing PIL, if everyone wants it what will they do???

Hello hello! I'm an MS-3 at Drexel and would be happy to answer questions about the clinical years. If you're on the fence about Drexel or just plain curious about life beyond the lecture hall, I'm your man.

Congrats on the acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!! I also chose PIL but I am also going to a shadowing day next week to make sure its the right decision! I'll post info as well, in case you want a couple of opinions/experiences :laugh:

Chewie: I'm heading down on Feb 11th. I'll post how it goes.
Robu: Thanks for the info. Do you have any advice on apartments in the East Falls area or surrounding neighborhoods? Also what books/equipment are we expected to get for the first year?

Most PIL students (myself included) do not buy books...don't need them...the exam questions are straight from the handouts (BTW, they don't give ppt slides due to copyright issues; that sucks but we r used to it by now)...aNyhow, i you insist in getting books, spend your $$ on BRS series..might be helpful...For bloc 1, we do gross anatomy, histology (but here they insist in calling it microanatomy, which get on my last nerve), and many more (including embryology, physio, behavior science, genetics, clinical skills, epidemiology, bioethics, Healthcare Business, etc) but the emphasis is on the first 2 subjects...and oh BTW, when you have exams, every course listed above is included!! It is just ONE big exam that may be broken down and taken in 2 days. :(

In PIL, we do everything very, very fast...we start gross in early august and done by october compare to other school that starts from august and end in december or IFM (starts in Sept and end in April)...Also, and more importantly, you need to hone 2 types of studying skills, which take me awhile to get used to: MCQ (multiple choice questions) style and essays.

For MCQ, you need to understand the big picture, whereas for essays, you need to study the details!!! But I love, love, PIL!!!

Anyway, good luck!

ps: most PIL students live close by for obvious reason...as far as apartment concerns, this site below might be your best friend...that was how i got mime!! However, you might need an user name to login and i am sure you have one by now!!!

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/classified/

Last edited:
Just accepted!! Also interested in doing PIL, if everyone wants it what will they do???

Actually...not everyone is accepted into the PIL program; you must write an essay and interview by the PIL director. Usually, they accept 65-70 of you guys, then the rest is wait-listed!!! However, everyone is invited to attend the orientation. At the end of the orientation, those who can't handle PIL drop out, and if you are wait-listed and still interested, you will be next in line. That was how they did it last year!!!

Last edited:
Congrats on acceptances!! It's an exciting time. :) I'm a first-year IFMer and would be happy to answer questions anyone has on apartments, books, etc. Feel free to post or message me.

Just a few tidbits...

Books: For IFM, I would definitely wait before getting any books. I have only bought a few this year... the rest that I need, I check out from the library. Sometimes they only have older versions available, but that seems to work just fine. Pretty much all of what we need text-wise is included in our module guides that we're given at the beginning of each module. What I have found helpful is to have my own Gross anatomy atlas (not textbook) and Wheater's Microanatomy atlas because they have many valuable anatomy pictures that are not included in module guides. Some students don't even use a Micro atlas though because they provide a lot of slides for review online. In addition, I have bought a few books with practice questions in the subjects that I found I've had more difficulty in.

Apartments: There seem to be three general areas that students live in: East Falls, Manayunk, and downtown. Drexel provides a shuttle that runs regularly (not on weekends) between the Queen Lane Medical campus and Hahnemann hospital downtown. I live in East Falls within walking distance, and I'm really happy that I chose to do that because I don't have a commute and don't have to worry about parking, but there's not as much nightlife up here because we're in the burbs. Also, you need a car to get, i.e., to a supermarket, so just something to keep in mind. We are, however, only about 5-10 mins to Manayunk which has nightlife, restaurants, etc. and there are a few bars in East Falls, so I personally don't have any issues with it, but I have heard some students complain about it. If you live around school but don't live within walking distance, you can drive and park either on campus (have to purchase a permit) or on the street. Finding street parking isn't awful but can be difficult at times (i.e. winter storms, like this week!). Beware of apartments east of Wissahickon, and south of Queen Lane (but the area east of Henry, south of Queen, is fine) - the neighborhoods can get a little dicey.

Last edited:
The only book I bought during my first year was a Netter's, which I used sporadically since there was one available to me in lab (admittedly it was old and soaked in... well, let's not spoil the surprise. you'll have gloves on, no worries).

As a general rule, Required Textbooks are recommended and Recommended Textbooks are "enrichment material". When you see either phrase appear it is basically just the bibliography for your notes.

Hi! I'm planning on sticking with IFM, but I was moreso concerned about housing. how early/ late should we start looking at places in east falls/manayunk (i never know if i spell that right)? I'm more concern because I'll be moving in with my boyfriend who is older and already has a job, but we want to know we have a nice place secured and ready for June/July.

My spring break is the week of March 7th and I'm from NJ (30 min drive away). Should I use some of my break to check out apts? or is that too early for a june/july lease? should I just go and have fun and maybe try again whenever i'm back for the accepted students day? I just dont want to have to settle for an OK place if I start looking during the summer.

Hi! I'm planning on sticking with IFM, but I was moreso concerned about housing. how early/ late should we start looking at places in east falls/manayunk (i never know if i spell that right)? I'm more concern because I'll be moving in with my boyfriend who is older and already has a job, but we want to know we have a nice place secured and ready for June/July.

My spring break is the week of March 7th and I'm from NJ (30 min drive away). Should I use some of my break to check out apts? or is that too early for a june/july lease? should I just go and have fun and maybe try again whenever i'm back for the accepted students day? I just dont want to have to settle for an OK place if I start looking during the summer.

That wouldn't be too early... it's better to get a head start so you'll have a better selection and you wont feel rushed.

Where in NJ are you coming from?

Does anyone know if Drexel helps in any way with finding a roommate?

Anyone looking for a female roommate?

Does anyone know if Drexel helps in any way with finding a roommate?

there is a list of ppl looking for roommates on the housing site for the school...I'm pretty sure they sent is info about it...u can put your name on but I don't think it looks like too many ppl use it

I am also considering doing the PIL program and will be going for the shadow day this Friday. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you there. I am also looking for a female roommate for Hathaway House.

how were you guys notified about the shadow day thing? I didn't hear anything about it... was it sent to your drexel email account?

how were you guys notified about the shadow day thing? I didn't hear anything about it... was it sent to your drexel email account?
No, I got an e-mail to my preferred AMCAS e-mail account. Basically, if you specified PIL when sending in your acceptance materials, I think you were contacted. My e-mail arrived roughly 2 weeks after I turned in my acceptance/deposit. Don't know if they continue to do this or if you needed to request PIL by a certain date for an invite.

I was at Drexel last Friday for the shadowing day, and really enjoyed it. I got a chance to sit in on the beginning of one of the patient cases and to see two lectures. From what the students said, I was lucky that both lecturers were native English speakers that day. The PIL class seems really tight knit, and the environment didn't seem competitive. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I can share more. :)

No, I got an e-mail to my preferred AMCAS e-mail account. Basically, if you specified PIL when sending in your acceptance materials, I think you were contacted. My e-mail arrived roughly 2 weeks after I turned in my acceptance/deposit. Don't know if they continue to do this or if you needed to request PIL by a certain date for an invite.

I was at Drexel last Friday for the shadowing day, and really enjoyed it. I got a chance to sit in on the beginning of one of the patient cases and to see two lectures. From what the students said, I was lucky that both lecturers were native English speakers that day. The PIL class seems really tight knit, and the environment didn't seem competitive. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I can share more. :)

oh I see. I specified IFM. thanks :)

Went to the shadow day yesterday. Amazing experience...the PIL groups were very friendly and accepting and the environment was very conversational and laid back but you still learned a lot. Cases are structured so as to give you hands on experience with working through and formulating a differential. Right from the beginning you learn how to approach patients and figure out what's wrong and how to treat.

kinda off topic, but does anyone know if drexel tends to be mac/pc friendly?

I asked on interview day, they said they were Mac compatible. Also, several of the students during my shadowing day had Macs.

They said some videos have trouble playing on Macs but there are patches you can get. Other than that Macs should be fine.

so I know that this is super early in the game, but does anyone know toughly when the schedule for 1st years gets made and is available to us? Or when we get drexel ID's (from what I understand you need an ID to use the housing search and I'd like to start looking around for an apartment in May)? I'm guessing there's still a long while to wait, but if someone who knows could let me know I'd really appreciate it :)

As soon as they confirm that they received your deposit to hold a place in the class you can go to www.drexel.edu/irt/accountsandsecurity to get your online student access. That allows you to use their library resources, housing lists and almost everything on their systems. As far as schedules and everything, they said they will mail pre-matriculation and orientation stuff in June so we have a while.

As soon as they confirm that they received your deposit to hold a place in the class you can go to www.drexel.edu/irt/accountsandsecurity to get your online student access. That allows you to use their library resources, housing lists and almost everything on their systems. As far as schedules and everything, they said they will mail pre-matriculation and orientation stuff in June so we have a while.

thanks! :)

Hi Everyone!

I am in the IMS Program at DUCOM right now- which means for the past 6-7 months I have been taking about 70% of the first year medical school classes. Basically we take the IFM curriculum minus gross anatomy, genetics, and a couple other smaller classes. I will be attending DUCOM as a first year in the fall- so if anyone has any questions regarding the IFM curriculum, books, or Philly in general, please ask! Can't wait to meet everyone in August :)

Hello All, and congrats on your acceptance to DUCoM!

I am a recent graduate (2010), and currently doing internship in NYC and sticking around here for my Ophthalmology residency.

When I was at Drexel, my parents decided to buy a townhouse in Manayunk.
With the poor selling market, they decided to hold onto the property and rent it - exclusively to a medical student. Right now a Drexel MS-2 is living there, but will be leaving after June to move to center city. We are looking to rent it to a DUCoM student (just ONE student please, no roomates). We are not listing it anywhere, and renting it below market value b/c we want specifically only one person to live there who will take good care of the town-house. We can do a one or two year lease.

Here are the details. It's on Dexter Street in Manayunk, very close to the Queen lane campus, but in the heart of the Manayunk bars and restaurants. There is also a bus stop right off Dexter street that goes to Hahnemann Hospital! It's a 2 BR duplex, with one large BR and one smaller one good for a desk and sofa. Amazing kitchen, front porch, private back yard, and basement for storage. The shower has 2 heads and speakers built into the ceiling.

It's $1,300/mo and that includes heat and hot water. Cable and electric is separate. We also will be including a monthly cleaning service because we really want to keep the place in good shape.

Pictures here: http://gallery.me.com/justinrome#100183

If you are interested in seeing it, I can set you up to see it with the medical student currently living there.

email me at: rome (dot] justin (at] gmail (dot] com

Congrats again!
Justin

hey guys,
how soon after sending back your paperwork & matriculation fee did you hear back from drexel? i sent everything back about 2-3 weeks ago and i haven't gotten any paper work back yet, but on my drexel app it says that the matriculation fee is received..! just wondering how long it took all you.. i wanted to get my drexel log in info so i can look at housing, fin aid, etc etc....
It took a couple weeks to get any further info, and the only thing I received was the go-ahead to create my log-in/e-mail.

Has anyone completed FAFSA and gotten their financial aid offers yet? I was thinking about taking care of that today.

Hey guys, I am currently living in a studio in Alden Park apartments, which is within one mile of Drexel Med. I would like to sublease my apartment out from April to January of next year. Please contact me if you are interested. The rent is 500 a month. [email protected]. I will send you pictures if requested. Thanks.

Hey folks. First-year MD/MPH PIL student here procrastinating biochemistry and more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Some things off the top of my head:
  • Drexel is only borderline mac-friendly and has considered telling students to only bring PCs to school. If you've got a mac, you should expect to buy your own VGA converter cable for projecters in the PIL rooms and external monitors in the Micro Lab.
  • Get serious about gathering your rosebuds over the next four months. Life gets a little different after you start.
  • The maps don't show it, but there's a serious hill between Campus and Ridge Avenue. It's a leisurely walk but a pretty tough bike ride.
  • Unless you're loaded, don't worry about buying the $500 Welch Allyn scope set. The old sets you can get for $100 are just as good and most of the clinics you'll find yourselves in will have wall-mounted sets.
  • You will be given more paper during your first month of school than you received during your entire undergraduate education. Consider investing in a filing system.

Oh, and, you know... congrats!

Hey all, waiting to hear back on a decision if I successfully linked from their Post-Bacc program. They said "Week of March 28th" so that doesn't leave many more days left. Hope to officially join you in this thread soon.

Congrats to everyone already accepted, I hope i'll get the chance to meet you all

I'm not Class of 2015, but I'm potentially Class of 2019. I'm a high school senior accepted into one of Drexel's 8 year BS/MD programs. I was just wondering if any of you (soon to be) med students would be kind enough to entertain my questions.

Please PM if you have the time.

Thanks

Hey guys so I'm potential class of 2015, IFM student here (still not 100% sure about going to Drexel). I had a question about the IFM lectures - so do they not post the professor's powerpoint slides? I know that they do tape all the lectures, but is there a MS Powerpoint copy available for download that I could take notes on as I listened to the video?...

Hey guys so I'm potential class of 2015, IFM student here (still not 100% sure about going to Drexel). I had a question about the IFM lectures - so do they not post the professor's powerpoint slides? I know that they do tape all the lectures, but is there a MS Powerpoint copy available for download that I could take notes on as I listened to the video?...

They'll give you a big pile of notes for all of the lectures at the start of every module. For most of the courses, that's all you'll need -- textbooks and your own notes are totally unnecessary.

They do post all powerpoints/word format notes online. They will also give you a printout of each lecture beforehand.

http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/IFM/sessions.asp#4/9/2011 edit: (you have to click modules on the left and then choose a module for an example of the schedule)

Next to the lecture you'll see the link to download the notes and a link to watch the lecture. I used the download because I kept all of my notes together in OneNote rather than lugging a bunch of notesbooks/paper around.