Drexel Students-Getting to Center City from East Falls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a newly accepted student at Drexel and am looking forward to going there. I was wondering if it would be possible to bike from East Falls from Center City. I was also wondering if you recommend getting a place close by the school or one perhaps more distant. I've looked around at places and am trying to learn more about the area. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When I went on my Drexel interview, the distance from city center (independence hall area) to East Falls was a 30min train ride... So i seriously doubt biking is an option.

hey. biking from center city to east falls takes about 20 minutes. by the river is really pleasant to ride, but there's a killer hill to get up to the med school. when i was there (last year), drexel had a free hourly shuttle going from the hahnemann campus in cc to east falls. it took about 30 minutes or so.
i lived in the carlton park apartments across from the med school. the management was very nice. i would, however, suggest getting a second floor aparment, as burglaries can happen (my downstairs neighbor got robbed a few times). The area around the med school, like most of philly, is weird in that there are pockets of really nice and more pockets of not-so-nice. Lots of folks lived in Roxboro, which is one or two septa stops up the line. Chestnut hill is further away, and probably much higher rent wise but a very nice neighborhood. Mt Airy is quite diverse and also a nice place. Manyunk is where the cool and trendy kids live. Can i use the word nice one more time? thanks.

i'll stop for now, but if you want more info let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people bike to campus... BUT theres one thing that makes it tough: East Falls is kinda on a hill, and to get up to Queen lane you're going to have to hike it up one hell of a hill. If you're a decent biker and in shape, not really a problem. Fyi, the hill most people ride up to get to school is midvale:

art museum --> kelly drive --> midvale:HILL--> fox --> queen lane

Philly is definitely a biker-friendly city by far. Many roads have a bike lane, and you always see people biking on the roads. I would recommend at least driving from school to where you're looking before deciding on a place if you're planning to bike. Just my two cents!

Thanks for the reply everyone.

like others have said, a number of students bike to school from center city. one thing that you should keep in mind is when it starts to snow, biking in may be less fun. ;) so you may want to have a car or live close to hahnemann (the center city shuttle stop) for that time of year.

fellow dragons,
i will be attending drexel and plan on living in center city... How far up kelly drive must one bike to reach the mouth of this treacherous midvale hill? Also, whats the mileage from art museum to campus? I won't have a car so in inclement weather I'll rely on regional rail and shuttle... Finally, how many 1st/2nd yrs live downtown--it seems to be a feasible option but i may be wrong.

any advice appreciated,
biff

Biffer said:
fellow dragons,
i will be attending drexel and plan on living in center city... How far up kelly drive must one bike to reach the mouth of this treacherous midvale hill? Also, whats the mileage from art museum to campus? I won't have a car so in inclement weather I'll rely on regional rail and shuttle... Finally, how many 1st/2nd yrs live downtown--it seems to be a feasible option but i may be wrong.

any advice appreciated,
biff

I'm a 1st year, and I'll try to answer those questions as best I can :)

from the art museum - midvale, I think its about 4 miles (*think because the full kelly loop is 8 miles). Midvale to school is um, about 1.5-2.5 milesish. The hill isn't really super steep, it just goes on forever.

The shuttle leaves from vine and 14th/15th, so you can easily live within walking distance of that. Just so you know, the shuttle doesn't run on the weekends.

How many people live downtown? Well, not tons but definitely people do it without a problem. Many people also live out in the Manayunk, Roxoborough area, and some people live even farther. The majority of campus live within walking distance, or a short 5-10 minute drive. If you're looking for a definite city environment, center city is the way to go. Plus, you can easily survive without a car in center city. A few of my friends don't have cars who live in East Falls as well (they live very close to the school), and they get by.

Should 1st year medical students live close or far away from the med school? I'm debating on whether buying a place close to drexel or in center city.... Do 1st year medical students have to be in class for most of the day?

cottagepepper said:
Should 1st year medical students live close or far away from the med school? I'm debating on whether buying a place close to drexel or in center city.... Do 1st year medical students have to be in class for most of the day?

bump

cottagepepper said:

it doesn't really matter. there are very few mandatory classes - all the lectures can be watched online if you want. personally, i go to class or else i'll never get around to doing any work, but there are a number of people who would only show up when they had to. downtown you have access to the main drexel library to study, but at queen lane there are nice group study rooms. in the end, it really depends if you mind the 20 minute commute. good luck!
:)