Drexel MSP or BU ma in medical science????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaxmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I need your help...I cant decide between BU masters in medical science program and the Drexel MSP program. I have a low MCAT 9V, 10B, 7P Q, and a 3.22 GPA, so obviously I need to improve both. The Drexel MSP works on MCAT, and I will take the April 06 test, with BU I would have to take the August 2006 test and possibly be too late to apply to med schools in 2006, but it will greatly help my GPA. AHHH Im torn! If anyone could give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Anything helps!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The Drexel MSP is best if you need to improve your MCAT score. The BU MAMS program is best for proving you can handle a challenging full-time courseload with medical school courses. (I'm just adding to what you already said ;))

Allow me to clarify something about the BU program and graduate programs in general. The BU program will not improve your undergraduate GPA at all because graduate grades do not contribute to your undergraduate cumulative GPA on the AMCAS application. Graduate programs, especially special masters programs like BU's MAMS, are great for making up for a less than spectacular undergraduate academic record but these programs do not technically improve your undergraduate academic record. [I'm not sure whether the courses for the Drexel MSP are undergrad or grad, so I'm not sure how the grades get incorporated into your AMCAS GPAs.]

If you look at your MCAT score, you'll realize that your biological score is pretty solid already. If you do the BU program, you'll probably improve your knowledge of the biological sciences. However, your lowest score was in the physical sciences portion. BU's program does not contain coursework that will help you to improve with that.

My conclusion: If your MCAT score was a few points higher, I would probably say the BU program is the better option. But in your situation, I would go with the Drexel MSP. If you do the BU program, you can study for the MCAT a little during the program and all summer for the August MCAT. However, if you are looking to file AMCAS in the summer of 2006 for 2007 matriculation, your application will be delayed at least until mid-October when you receive your August MCAT score. That wouldn't be a problem with the Drexel MSP because the program requires that you take the April MCAT. You also have the option of staying at Drexel for the following year, Fall 2006-Spring 2007, to do the IMS program. This will allow you to take multiple medical courses (via telecast) during the application cycle and you will earn a Master of Biological Sciences (MBS) degree in the process. In addition, I believe that the MSP tuition + the IMS tuition is comparable or less than the tuition cost for the MAMS program (about $30k for tuition alone).

Edit: If you're considering DO schools, your MCAT score is already competitive, but your undergrad GPA is not too competitive. If you're open to applying to osteopathic schools, the BU program would be sufficient to prove you can handle the med school courseload. My suggestions above are more applicable if you're shooting for US MD schools.

Thanks so much for the reply..that helps a lot!!