Drew's program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kickbackdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone hook me up with info on how stable Drew's program is? Many of the residency programs in the hospital (IM, Surg, Rad) are on the ropes and I think the GME is being evaluated a month after match. What is Drew's rep like? It's floating up and down my list and I'm not sure where to put it. If it's unstable, obviously at the bottom.

Members don't see this ad.

Drew, is a very poor hospital in the worst part of LA. I heard the Rad residency is out the door. IM is all international docs. And there's ton's of trauma. Lots of procedures. The major perk of the program is the schedule 2 shifts on and 2 shifts off. There's lots of moonlighting opportunity, so residents make close to 100K during second/third year. However, in Cali, I think Drew has the rep as being the worst EM training program for reasons I don't understand. I think a lot has to do with its patient population (gangbangers), in addition to the deficient facilities. There are probably 11 better programs in CAli, but I wouldn't say Drew is the worst, personally.

I'm putting Drew on my list, but there are a few programs higher where I feel I would get better teaching from my department as well as other depts. But if I end up at Drew I would make the most of my experience. the EM dept at Drew is the strongest in the hospital, allowing residents to set their own standard.

Drew had the distinction last year of being the only hospital in the country that had open EM AND Ortho positions.

They still have the ad up for advance positions for people with prior training. That's at least a year old.

I have an idea they still need those people.

Not to bash Drew, I believe the program has heart and good intentions but its a lose-lose situation when you are in a warzone with lack of funds and resources (like Palestine.)

don't reply to my Palestine comment please.