Dreaming about match day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So call me crazy, but I actually dreamt last night that I matched at a program I am not even ranking!!!!! I was so miserable!!!! I was devastated... this is so sad.

30 more days to match day... this is like a life time

Am I the only one obsessing about this?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm still obsessing over my rank list! for the life of me, i cannot decide between my top two! and the rest of it keeps changing too. i'm so glad you started this thread. it's been so quiet on this forum lately with no discussion of programs, rank lists or match day that i thought i was the only undecisive, crazy one! this whole process sucks! at least you've moved on to match day. once i finalize my list, i'm sure i'll be having similar dreams.:D

i daydream all the time about the stupid things i will say depending on where i end up. like, if i go to johns hopkins, i say "i'm coming home", or if i end up at unc, i say "i'm staying in the acc" or if i go to pitt, something about how i will still never be a steelers fan. i think we are all obsessing (and still trying to figure out what those emails/notes/phone calls/etc from PDs mean!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been sleeping very well lately worrying about the match too! I know that I am being crazy, but I can't stop worrying about it. I need to stop obsessing and focus on my work!!!!

my only comfort is to check this forum about 100 times a day...glad to know i'm not alone. :oops:

by the way bellalou, it's too bad the 'feedback from programs' thread you started didn't get too many responses. it seems to be popular in other specialties' forum...maybe we have more type a personalities in our field eh? oh well... :confused:

my only comfort is to check this forum about 100 times a day...glad to know i'm not alone. :oops:

by the way bellalou, it's too bad the 'feedback from programs' thread you started didn't get too many responses. it seems to be popular in other specialties' forum...maybe we have more type a personalities in our field eh? oh well... :confused:

maybe people are trying to protect their identies or something? i have heard that PDs read SDN.

Thank you so much for answering!!! I am so relieved I am not the only crazy one... I thought I was the only one checking this forum 1000 times a day only to find nobody writes on it... for some reason I start looking at other forums and people write in them ALL the time!!! So come on people just sympathize and just share your misery so that we can all feel better. :scared:

I woke up from a nightmare last week... I had the envelope in my hands saying where I matched, when I opened it... it looked like the paper from the drug manufacturers, complete with tiny font, chemistry diagrams, and I'm scanning it and CAN'T find where I'm going. I know I matched...hence the envelope on match day, but I'm standing in front of a roomful of people and can't figure out where... and I wake up.

Tiredmom, as anxiety dreams go, that one is pretty funny. :) Add me to the stressed-out bandwagon. I'm still struggling with the rank order list. I ran into one of the deans of my medical school who seemed a bit disappointed when I mentioned that I was thinking of ranking a less competitive program first... I got the lecture on big name programs opening career doors and how "we need more female leaders in this field", etc. What if I don't want to be a leader in the field? What if I just want a career? <sigh>

OMG!!! I am so glad that there are other people dreaming about this crap! I dream about the match so often that it has started setting the pace for my day (i.e. if I match at my #1 the night before then I will be in a good mood, etc).
TiredMom, that is the funniest match dream EVER!!! :laugh:

Tiredmom, that is really funny... at least we are not alone. Yesterday I dreamt that all my personal info was on the forum, where I was born, my social security number and my rank list!!!! Not a pleasent experience I might add....
Well just one more month!!!

...Yesterday I dreamt that all my personal info was on the forum, where I was born, my social security number and my rank list!!!! Not a pleasent experience I might add....
Would it really be that bad if your rank list were made public, or do you mean the circumstances under which the information were released? I'd definitely lose my mind if my SSN were made public, though! :eek:
Good luck everybody!

relax! Even if unmatched there are usually highly sought after unfilled programs.
Good luck
Diane

Not sure if anyone saw the sharp decline in unfilled positions from 2 years ago to last year, but this is not exactly an encouraging post . . .

Saw it.. and I would say don't count on the scramble. I think only 27 positions were available last year.

I also had a dream about match day...that I had forgotton to submit my match list and didn't remember until the Match!

I am going through a very stressful time right now, so actually this senario is feasible. My husband came home yesterday and was like, "wasn't your match list due yesterday?"
Not even funny!

I think I should just confirm my list on the site. We can change it right? I am afraid to do it because I keep thinking maybe I read the thing wrong about being able to change it later.

Michimo,

You can change it after submitting for sure, I did it yesterday... I had my rank list ready and decided to change it, so don't worry. You will receive an email saying that you're ROL is confirmed. If you change it you must recertify and you will receive another email.

Are you all straight from college to med school to residency? Yeah-i see a lot of anxious students in these threads. I say don't worry...obviously, we want to get into a top 3 programs, but I have friends who transferred into excellent programs their PGY2 year (Harvard, UCSF). If you don't match at all, taking a year off to do research or whatever is a great thing. Don't think it's completely unacceptable. You will have a year of less stress, enjoyment of your life, and strengthening your credentials for the next year. NOt only that, it will give you a lot of perspective and time to think what you want to do in your career. Things will work out. No...I dont' go to a caribbean school...

PS. I had a friend who was an ortho applicant...didn't match....and scrambled into a competetive residency program for radiology. Can you believe that???

Yes, a year of enjoyment and relaxation is great, but for those like myself with a bunch of debt, the dark cloud just looms overhead too closely...

I wonder if we have the same friend...is this friend in TN doing his prelim before going to Saint Francis for radiology?

PS. I had a friend who was an ortho applicant...didn't match....and scrambled into a competetive residency program for radiology. Can you believe that???

Are you all straight from college to med school to residency?

Nope... just high strung! :D And I don't know about anybody else, but as long as I'm by myself, I'm not stressed. I don't get nervous until I start hearing the students I'm on rotation with freaking out... then it starts!