Dr. Schmidt leaving UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumors that Dr.Schmidt is thinking on leaving UCSF for another institution that has recently recruited the Dean of UCSF...

Anyone know of any validity to this...

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard rumors that Dr.Schmidt is thinking on leaving UCSF for another institution that has recently recruited the Dean of UCSF...

Anyone know of any validity to this...

Spoke to a friend of mine at SF - sounds like this is true.Don't know where he's headed though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if it's "An institution that recently recruited the dean of UCSF" then it would have to be NYU since they recently recruited Bertolami ~2-3 years ago.

He's going to NYU.

We're getting a big-shot cancer researcher but no names have been officially announced yet.

We're getting a big-shot cancer researcher but no names have been officially announced yet.

Gary "Gary Ruska" Ruska here,
It is interesting that BL Schmidt is leaving UCSF for a program that, historically, hasn't been as strong. GR has heard through the grapevine that NYU has become much stronger in recent years and being able to draw Schmidt (an FACS and one of the few OMFS who has R-01 funding) is evidence suggestive of that. It does speak to the strength of the NYU faculty and program itself to be climbing high in the OMFS world, especially given that one of the best plastics programs in the country (who also do orthognathic surgery and have their own orthodontist) is at the same institution and Sloan-Kettering (with master head and neck surgeon Jatin Shah) is in the neighborhood.

As an aside, Schmidt is a terribly nice guy and one of the smartest people you'll ever met. A huge loss for UCSF and a tremendous gain (if true) for NYU.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
I have personally worked and assisted with Brian Schmidt for a month in the hospital when he was a head and neck cancer Fellow in Portland . At the time he was debating between going to work for Harvard or UCSF. Finally went to UCSF. If he is going to NYU then more power to NYU. Compared to other Oral surgeons He is a very down to earth guy even with all that degrees he has.

I am from UCSF and have been working,assisting with Dr schmidt.As KlingonDentist and gary_ruska told he is the most talented ,smartest and nicest oral surgeon i have ever met and work with. he is superrrr nice, down to earth and supportive. I've heard that officially he is going to join NYU and i am sure it will be a biggg loss for UCSF and biggerrr gain for NYU.

It is a huge gain for NYU, currently NYU has David Hirsch who was a Dierks fellow as well..... He's currently the "cancer" guy at NYU and has been avg atleast 1 MVFF a week (pardon my ignorance as I dont know if thats alot or not for a program). I believe NYU is trying to increase those ###s and bringing in Schmidt will only help there program to succeed...