Dr. Doan's Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt_DOPhD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Doan-

I noticed that your PhD was in neuroscience.

Maybe this is common knowledge to those in this forum, but I'll risk it. What was your graduate research on?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It was on the molecular and protein biology of Alzheimer's disease. I studied Presenilin 1 protein topology. We had knock-out animals, transgenic mice, and cell culture models.

Also, I spent time studying the proteins involved in learning and memory, and how proteins regulate postsynaptic function of glutamate receptors.

Interesting, do you know of any results involving memantine (glutamate receptor antagonist) in Alz.? There is currently a multicenter trial using memantine to prevent NFL loss in patients with POAG, PXG, and PDG. The results of this trial may change the way we manage glaucoma patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew_Doan said:
It was on the molecular and protein biology of Alzheimer's disease. I studied ....

A slightly humorous answer might have been "It was on the molecular and protein biology of some kind of disease, I just can't remember which disease...Was it Alzheimer's?" :D

Visioncam said:
A slightly humorous answer might have been "It was on the molecular and protein biology of some kind of disease, I just can't remember which disease...Was it Alzheimer's?" :D

:laugh:

John, I haven't kept up with the latest AD literature. However, if glutamate receptors play an important role in the viability of ganglion cells, then it'll be very effective in glaucoma. We'll see! ;)