Dr. 90210

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NikkiDeee said:
That episode softened my dislike for Dr. Rey as well. I thought he seemed really sincere. However, I've not seen Dr. 90210 in a long time . . . where the hell did this Dr. Matlock come from. He is 100x more of a douchebag than Rey.

wow
i agree with you wholeheartedly
dr matlock makes dr rey seem tolerable.

matlock tells you how much everything he wears costs

Members don't see this ad.

GMO2003 said:
did you guys watch the last episode...the GU/plastic surgery guy putting in breast implants in a male to female transexual...it also focused on Dr. Nassif and his famous wife from the Maloof family...that guy's house is like a friggin' castle...if Dr. Rey is such a huge success in his practice...why does he live in such a modest home...it's the ONLY thing understated about this guy...it's a rather humble abode...is real estate in California really that out of control that a "big shot" plastic surgeon can't afford a mansion on PCH?

A 3 bedroom around the corner from my parent's that is a run down piece of garbage (I would seriously be embarassed to live there) is going for 1.1 million. If you aren't from california you dont have a clue and if your not from the bay area or socal its still hard to imagine.

what is with mid-level providers and docs including wanting to do $hit that they shouldn't just because of the almight dollar :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Dr. Matlock gone? Haven't seen him on the last few episodes. I guess he was too big a tool, even for Dr. 90210.

On a different note, I thought the episode where Dr. Rey earned his blackbelt was hilarious. Definatly amusing that a plastic surgeon who is living outside his means was willing to try and karatechop 2 bricks, risking fracturing every bone in his hand.

You peeps need to chill with all your playa' hatting. The guy is most likely a better technical surgeon and will make more $$ in his career than most of you ever will.

Misterioso said:
The guy is most likely a better technical surgeon and will make more $$ in his career than most of you ever will.

How does this preclude him from being a douche-bag again?

toxic-megacolon said:
How does this preclude him from being a douche-bag again?

You say that as if it's a fact rather than opinion.

He's a very good surgeon, takes care of his biz and his patients like him...the only whining seems to be coming from med students and other doctors. Hmmm, a bit of professional jealousy perhaps...

toxic-megacolon said:
You didn't answer my question.

I did. But your jealousy is clouding your ability to understand it.

jealousy or not, the fact that he 1) performed labiaplasty on his receptionist and then 2) did the check up without wearing gloves makes this guy a grade-a douchebag in my book (yes, that's an opinion. some of you out there might revere him for this and that's your opinion). i couldn't care less about his 'technical' ability, or that his patients (self-selected) like being on tv with him after doing a surgery, he's a crock.

also, anyone willing to be taped during an attempted breast augmentation through the umbilicus without prior knowledge of abdominal surgeries is just stupid. forgot what episode that was but included the timeless voiceover "the things people say on the way to surgery".

Misterioso said:
You say that as if it's a fact rather than opinion.

He's a very good surgeon, takes care of his biz and his patients like him...the only whining seems to be coming from med students and other doctors. Hmmm, a bit of professional jealousy perhaps...

He may be all those things but he is most defiinitely a douche/****. Just look at the way he acts, the guy is an uber dork. But it works for him. Just b/c hes on TV it doesnt make him any more technically adept than someone whos not.

Misterioso said:
I did. But your jealousy is clouding your ability to understand it.

Maybe its you whose too close to his jock to hear anything negative about your boy. LOL.

Plastikos said:
Maybe its you whose too close to his jock to hear anything negative about your boy. LOL.

Nah, it's jealousy on your part.
Get over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just caught a glimpse of it but... What was it that Rey was reading? And was that a stunt double hitting the bricks? This show is way too funny! :D

I like watching this show. I don't know why- it's like a car crash I can't look away. The people amuse for some reason.

I'm not fond of ANY of the surgeons on the show. I like Dr Rey's story most only because I like seeing his wife and kids...though his anorexic wife needs help...and his daughter is pretty spoiled. So even though Dr Rey is overly dramatic and kinda a douche bag all the time, he doesn't really bother me... except until this last episode. He's getting worse with his "pretty lady" "oh girl you look so good" etc etc etc comments! And on his secretary.... I supposed it's good that neither of them were embarrassed about the procedure, but we were! lol

Dr. Diamond is pretty annoying too huh? I guess its just an attitute that comes with plastic surgery in beverly hills... you gotta fit in or lose out right?

Dr. Li seems mostly nice- she seems least money obsessed and interested in her patients.

I actually take that back- I do like one of them. The older doctor- Kotler I think?? he's sorta dr. diamond's mentor, but they show him alone too. He seems to have a grasp on reality and offers some good advice.

Has anyone ever seen the discovery health show... plastic surgery beverly hills or maybe it's called beverly hills plastic surgery. It's Dr 90210-like. I've only seen 2 episodes so I don't have any opinions- just a different group of doctors.

I think the ultimate plastic surgery docu-drama total cheese fest was on the Bravo channel several years back...the show was called "Miami Slice" That show touched upon every conceivable plastic surgeon stereotype/cliche you could possibly think of....there was the young, single playboy type who had a house on the beach, a bentley, cigar speed boat, and range rover with 23" rims, argentinian playboy playmate gf who would blow up and argue with him while they partied the night away in south beach...they also featured a gay plastic surgeon who caterred specifically to the G&L club....another plastic surgeon they featured showed him going on a continual series of blind dates set up by his "stylist." All of these women were the prototypical latina femme fatales Miami is known for...hourglass figures with big eyes, jet black straight hair down past the waist, and with a deep dark tan shadowing their olive complexion.

fishmonger69 said:
jealousy or not, the fact that he 1) performed labiaplasty on his receptionist and then 2) did the check up without wearing gloves makes this guy a grade-a douchebag in my book (yes, that's an opinion. some of you out there might revere him for this and that's your opinion). i couldn't care less about his 'technical' ability, or that his patients (self-selected) like being on tv with him after doing a surgery, he's a crock.

Made my skin crawl when he was pontificating about his love for the labiaplasty, because the vagina is just so darn "cute" and "beautiful," and had that sicko smile painted across his mug.

toxic-megacolon said:
I also thought it looked genuine, but he strikes me as a person who will forget that experience as soon as he steps back into Beverly Hills.

By the way, did anyone see the episode where he wanted to get a big huge german shepard, because a big scary dog like that is a "surgeon's dog" :laugh: :laugh:

Then the bone-head goes and gets a "special breed called the giant white german shepherd"--#1. German shepherds are NOT a giant breed. Idiots have bred them to be much larger than ever intended, thereby increasing the incidence of hip dysplasia and other ortho problems. Not to mention the inbreeding that has taken place to acheive this. #2. German shepherds should NOT be white. That coat color is specifically disqualilfied by the breed standard. For some reason, people breed them anyway, again, idiots who know nothing about the GSD.

His dog issues are only the tip of the tool iceberg....

His wife needs to eat a sandwich. What's the story behind her weight? Does the show ever address that? She looks awful!

GMO2003 said:
....there was the young, single playboy type who had a house on the beach, a bentley, cigar speed boat, and range rover with 23" rims, argentinian playboy playmate gf who would blow up and argue with him while they partied the night away in south beach...

What a badass. That guy is living the dream.

Jalopycat said:
His wife needs to eat a sandwich. What's the story behind her weight? Does the show ever address that? She looks awful!

More than that she needs some sun or something...

rey's wife is crying for help during every episode and Dr. Rey has no clue... that makes him a douche bag... every one of her concerns he craps on, and then at the end of the black belt episode he praises himself as an excellent father and husband!! he is clueless...

and he is a douche bag for the following reasons
1) he wears sleeveless scrubs
2) he curls iron between patients (would you want a surgeon who needs fine motor control to fatigue his stabilizing muscles before surgery... hmmm)
3) he describes women's body parts in an unprofessional manner
4) he cares more about his martial arts then he does about his wife
5) he operates on his employee and tells her that her vagina is cute and adorable and checks her post-op without gloves
6) for not noticing his wife is wasting away

but i realize he makes for excellent TV...

there is an article about dr. rey and the show in the newyork times today in the style section.

go to http://www.nytimes.com you might have to sign up for a free account then look in the style section or for dr. rey's picture on the home page.

it says many of the things that have been said in this forum plus many more interesting tidbits of info about dr. rey.

Dr. rey's wife explains that she gets too stressed to eat and when she gets a chance to eat she doesn't feel like eating. she weighed 88lbs last time she was weighed. 9 and 10 year olds weigh 88lbs.

Great NY Times article!! I can't believe Dr. Rey is not board certified!!!

Just curious...

How much do you think Dr 90210 gets paid for his TV show?

buttercup77 said:
Great NY Times article!! I can't believe Dr. Rey is not board certified!!!

he says in the article that he is just too busy to get board certified.. He is working on his hollywood career.. and he will prepare for the boards in the future..

From having firsthand knowledge about the process, I highly doubt that after spending years w/o being in that mode you can go back and study for a board certification exam. It is possible but not probable. Those exams you have to devote A LOT of time to prepare. A LOT of time away from personal matters such as wife kids practice career karate etc..

Thats where he made his mistake. He should have achieved board certification before anything else. because that is the standard in which you are judged.

stephend7799 said:
Thats where he made his mistake. He should have achieved board certification before anything else. because that is the standard in which you are judged.

Actually, Dr. Rey really has demonstrated the failure of the ASPS & ABMS to "brand" the value of being board-certified to patients. Being in practice, I have yet to be asked by a patient re. my credentials.

As you can see, Dr. Rey is struggling :rolleyes: with his practice in Beverly Hills. While I'm proud of my training & diplomas on the wall, what they represent is more "inside baseball" rather then something patients respect. Now the first time you get sued those degrees will seem VERY important however as this is an issue that will come up in deposition 100% of the time.

droliver said:
Now the first time you get sued those degrees will seem VERY important however as this is an issue that will come up in deposition 100% of the time.

you aint kiddin

The lawyer will ask..

lawyer: Are you board certified dr so and so

dr so and so: No i am not

Lawyer: arrest my case..

stephend7799 said:
you aint kiddin

The lawyer will ask..

lawyer: Are you board certified dr so and so

dr so and so: No i am not

Lawyer: arrest my case..

arrest indeed...

Board certification is, sadly, unnecessary for plastic surgeons. This guy can get by without certification and, via marketing/positioning/etc, can become insanely successful. Most surgeons think that they HAVE to be board certified so that they can used that to woo patients their way. All they really need to do is to market themselves well.

Also, just being board certified does make mean that you will win a lawsuit, and not being board certified does not mean that you will lose. Most surgeons eventually get sued or at least threatened with a suit. Losing has more to do with the quality of the lawyer representing the patient (sadly) than anything else.

haters...leave the dude alone...its the American system....he's allowed to work hard, earn a degree and use it to his advantage....you wouldn't appreciate it if someone **** on you about your training and how you made your living...as long as he's not killing patients, who cares...he's obviously helping someone...with that being said...his wife needs to go... :D

if he really needed the board certification he would've gotten it by now... he's got time enough to earn a black belt in taekwondo for crissake!

djquickfingers said:
haters...leave the dude alone...its the American system....he's allowed to work hard, earn a degree and use it to his advantage....you wouldn't appreciate it if someone **** on you about your training and how you made your living...as long as he's not killing patients, who cares...he's obviously helping someone...with that being said...his wife needs to go... :D

people have been ****ting on me since I got into medical school.. thats why i achieved board certification.

JKP said:
if he really needed the board certification he would've gotten it by now... he's got time enough to earn a black belt in taekwondo for crissake!

hahaha...I would really hate to be in his class

I couldn't imagine putting up with his daughter. Or his tear-jerking speech about his dad. Or his fear of breaking his hand while hitting the bricks.

I might be inclined to take a running start and kick him.

From behind, of course. :laugh: