DPT vs PT vs PTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCAT320

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 48 years old, have a BS in Business Mgmt, a minor in Chemistry, and was pre-med a number of years back. I am currently unemployed. :( I am quite interested in pursuing a career in physical therapy, but would like some info regarding the pros and cons of a PTA, PT, and DPT. I mean, where do I start? :eek: Do need to become a PTA first? Do I really need to be a PT before getting a DPT degree? Are PTs and DPTs becoming the same? Is it better to be a PT where there's lots of jobs but I'd only make about $50-$60K? Or should I go for the longer and more expensive DPT degree but may find fewer jobs with the same, maybe better, salary? I would really like to find a way to work in the PT field while getting my degree. There don't seem to be any paying jobs in the PT field that don't require a license, certificate, or degree.

Any answers to any of these questions is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

PTA is not a stepping stone and does not count toward becoming a PT other than experience.

the DPT is becoming the entry level degree for physical therapists. The reimbursement is really no different between a masters degree and a doctorate. By the time you have completed your prerequisite classes nearly all PT programs will most likely confer a DPT.

If you choose to go to PT school, do so at the least expensive, most local PT school you can get into that is accredited.

Good luck with your decision.

In my opinion a good option for you would be to go to a PTA program. You can be working in the field in 2 years, with a whole lot less debt than obtaining a DPT. That being said, if you really want to be a PT, go for it. Just one thing to think of while making the decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go to PTA school. Out in 2 yrs, less competitive to get in, plenty of jobs, and you can make good $. My classmate is a PTA and he makes $60k+ working 50hr/week. Also as a PTA, most of the employers would pay for your DPT later if you agree to stay with them for a couple of more years.

I agree w/the last 2 posts as well. If I were graduating around 52 years old, I wouldn't be still paying off debt less than 5 years before I wanted to retire. PTA is a couple years and the pay-to-debt ratio almost certainly fits your situation better. I've observed and worked with a couple of PTA guys in their 40s and late 50s before, and they both seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Thanks to all who replied. I spoke with an admissions rep at NAU today. She said my mid 90's courses won't fulfill the prerequisites - they need to be less than 10 years old. So now it looks like it'll take 2 years to redo those classes and then another 3 years to get my DPT - assuming I get accepted to some school. I'm 48. It's June. I'll be 54 by the time I may get my degree. Is it worth the expense and time at my age? The Phoenix job market has tanked Big Time and I'm looking for a more stable career. I feel quite overwhelmed, sad, and depressed at the prognosis....

Selling McDonald Happy Meal toys on eBay is not appealling.

I respectfully disagree with previous posters. I am a bit younger than you (39) but still "old" compared to most students so I feel I can relate to your situation. I just started DPT classes today actually. My program and many others are 2.5 years long. You have to ask yourself, if you are going to be in school for 2 years anyway, wouldn't you rather have the "advanced" degree, more in depth knowledge and more importantly the autonomy that comes with it? I'm not sure about what settings PTA can work but I feel it's safe to say they are more limited in that regard as well. The cost of this degree really an investment in yourself and your future happiness. I made more money in my last career but dragged myself out of bed every day and into the office because I hated the work and pretty much forgot how to smile. Life is too short and precious to be unhappy. If you are going to go back to school at this point in your life I say, go big or go home :)

I started college at 41 in the fall of 2006. I took one semester off during that time to take care of a family business that I had previously left. I am now 43 and a junior with plans to attend a DPT program, since that seems to be what every school is going to. I have bad days where I think about being 48 by the time I graduate PT school in 2014, and that I want to be working (I am a worker, its my nature)....but I realize that I WANT to be a physical therapist, so it takes a bachelors and 3 years of PT school. Thats the bottom line, thats what I will do. I am having a great time, most of the time in college, ballgames are great and classes are relatively easy. If you want to be a PT, then go for it.

I'm glad you figured out your career plans while you were young. There's a big difference career-wise between 39 and 48. Also, you are starting your DPT program today (awesome!) and should be done when you're 42. I'm looking at 2 years for prerequesites and another 3 years of DPT. I'll be 54 when I'm done, you'll be 42. I was just commenting on whether it was a good investment to start a new career at 54.

Thanks again to everyone's comments. Have a great future.

There are definitely paying jobs that do not require a license in physical therapy; the main one being an aide position. Does it pay a lot? No, very little most likely especially for an adult with a family and bills to pay.

if anyone here is a aide, can they tell me how much they get paid per hour?

Pay as an aide will vary from one geographical area to another. In the Los Angeles area I was getting paid $12.50/hr as an aide. Keep in mind that this was a private ortho setting and my boss was a cheapo, but it still isn't as bad as other jobs. Good hours and easy work.

Generally, you make between $10-15/hour....I think. At least in NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
reviving this post! :D

I too am looking to go back to school for PT. I'm 38, married and have 2 small kids. daycare bills are preventing me from jumping into the program right now. That and some prereq's I have to get out of the way first.

The other thing to consider from the financial side is working for someone who'll reimburse your tuition. this is something i will be looking into. also be looking into the PTA route with my back round.

im looking for a aide job if anyone can help me out, somewhere in the queens or nassau county area. just AIM me chung2509, thanks!

redirtgirl, curious how school is going for you so far? you've replied to another post of mine. still exploring options and I'm curious to know if you have family, kids etc..... This is weighing heavily into my decision to go back to school.

With my 12+ years of experience as a personal trainer and with my current knowledge of rehab I'm wondering if PTA school is an option I should consider. First for the expense, than also to be able to get into the field quicker. PT school could come later, and possibly at the expense of my employer.

I respectfully disagree with previous posters. I am a bit younger than you (39) but still "old" compared to most students so I feel I can relate to your situation. I just started DPT classes today actually. My program and many others are 2.5 years long. You have to ask yourself, if you are going to be in school for 2 years anyway, wouldn't you rather have the "advanced" degree, more in depth knowledge and more importantly the autonomy that comes with it? I'm not sure about what settings PTA can work but I feel it's safe to say they are more limited in that regard as well. The cost of this degree really an investment in yourself and your future happiness. I made more money in my last career but dragged myself out of bed every day and into the office because I hated the work and pretty much forgot how to smile. Life is too short and precious to be unhappy. If you are going to go back to school at this point in your life I say, go big or go home :)

I've heard huge salary discrepancies with PTAs. I've heard from 30k/year to 70k/year. Now I'm not sure if the 70k/year salary is valid. One poster did say they knew of a PTA making 60k/year. That's not too bad considering the median for PT is ~72k/year. Comparing the cost and time to complete the PT degree to the PTA degree I'd say that the PTA option would probably be a something to be focusing on for your situation. Consider the time spent in school that could be time spent making an income. Also consider the competitiveness of getting into PT programs. For instance you might target an instate, public institution that is less expensive than other institutions, but that doesn't mean you're gauranteed admittance. Instead of looking at a tuition of 30k for instance you could quickly be looking at 60k or even 90k cost just in tuition for a program depending on where you're accepted.

Be sure to add in the additional cost of not being able to work during the 2.5 year program. Living expenses would most likely have to be covered from more borrowed money so include this into the cost. I've also heard that PT school is demanding and take up a significant time outside of class as well. This could cause a hardship for your family. I've heard PTA is also very demanding but considering the length of the program I'd think it would be more manageable. I'd recommend contacting the PT and PTA institutions that you could possibly be looking into and write down the cost information. Consider the time required to take the prereqs and the degree and how long you plan on working in the workforce.

I really don't know much about how tuition reimbursement is handled. From what I understand, most of the opportunity for tuition reimbursement is for certified PTs that agree to work in underserved areas for a particular amount of time.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.

great insight, thanks alot!!

I say go to PTA school. Out in 2 yrs, less competitive to get in, plenty of jobs, and you can make good $. My classmate is a PTA and he makes $60k+ working 50hr/week. Also as a PTA, most of the employers would pay for your DPT later if you agree to stay with them for a couple of more years.

so if u are a PTA...would employers possible pay towards your decision if you decide to go in a med school?

I am a PTA working in Idaho and would recommend this career to most everyone. My husband is applying to PT school this fall but if he would have known about PTA when he began I think he would have gone that route first. I am making a lot more money than most my friends with bachelor's degree. I have been working for two years and make 55,000/year working 40 hours a week. It is a great job for women who want something flexible for raising children. My plan is to work PRN when my husband graduates so I can spend most my time with my future children. I love my job and the nice thing about being the assistant is you get to do more patient care and less paperwork. I think it would also be a great career for someone who is a little older and looking to finish quick and start earning money. :)

Back the salary issue...
I live in Texas so the job market may be a little more similar. I'm in PT school getting my DPT, my wife is a PTA, and I worked as a tech during my undergrad. Salaries - as a tech I got paid $8/hr at two different jobs. SNF and O/P ortho. My wife makes $45k/year doing O/P ortho and she does home health on the side for $50/visit. She will easily make over $50k this year. In my class a guy has taken a job for $52k/year. It's by far the lowest I've heard of. Most of us will make $60-65k/year right after we graduate. The downside is that I'm gonna have $60k in loans when I graduate. My wife had no loans when she graduated. Her whole program only cost $4k. There is disparity in all salaries though. A new-grad PT can make $100k/year if they wanna do strictly home health. As far as Phoenix having a bare market, I bet you can not find a single city with more than 20,000 people in the southern half of the US that doesn't have mutliple position openings for PTs. There are jobs everywhere!

any updates on the PTA job outlook

This field fascinates me but im horrified with the laws that are being passed etc

any updates on the PTA job outlook

This field fascinates me but im horrified with the laws that are being passed etc

Why don't you PM the OP considering the original post was from 2009.

will do

I was just hoping theres more people who are aware on what the heck is going on lol