DPT to ATC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollo#1585...

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a few threads with a similar title but nothing was helpful.
I was doing some digging around my school's Bachelor's programs (I'm currently Kinesiology, in my senior year and will be here for 1 extra year, so way too late to change to ATC major), and looking at my (hopeful) future as a DPT, I would love my 'end-game settle down' job to be with a sports team. However, I see that 'only' ATC are on the field with the players. Part of my reason for wanting to be a DPT is the ATC at my high school seemed so misinformed that it was almost a joke. "Got a bone sticking out? Put some ice on it." was the running joke of his "ability" to treat injuries. Anywho.

Does anyone here know of someone that has gone from DPT to get their ATC? I feel like thats alot to do but from my POV it seems that as a DPT you should have alot of the skills down req'd to be a ATC or pass the test.
Hopefully this all makes sense,
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

currently you must graduate from an athletic training curriculum with a bachelors degree, then sit for and pass the test. Soon, you will require a master's degree to sit for the exam. You would save much time and treasure by switching to athletic training in undergrad while you still can, then get your graduate degree in PT. PLUS, if you did the DPT first, you would have to go back and get a second undergrad degree. The rehab aspects of DPT and AT are similar but there is a wide variety of things in AT that are NOT in the PT curriculum. Think of them as similar but sufficiently different.

BTW, some of the ATCs on the field are PT/ATCs. I think the ideal combo of credentials.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not go for the ATC if that's what you really want to do? I encourage you to write out the timeline to do it at your own school but then also put some other schools down for comparison. Depending on what classes you have taken so far, it might not be that much more than your senior year + extra year you are already planning for. You could also work as an ATC first and go back to DPT school a few years later, no rush.

Members don't see this ad :)
currently you must graduate from an athletic training curriculum with a bachelors degree, then sit for and pass the test. Soon, you will require a master's degree to sit for the exam. You would save much time and treasure by switching to athletic training in undergrad while you still can, then get your graduate degree in PT. PLUS, if you did the DPT first, you would have to go back and get a second undergrad degree. The rehab aspects of DPT and AT are similar but there is a wide variety of things in AT that are NOT in the PT curriculum. Think of them as similar but sufficiently different.

BTW, some of the ATCs on the field are PT/ATCs. I think the ideal combo of credentials.
That's what I'm going for. Reason for my hesitation to switch is I'm already plenty in debt, Switching to AT would require to take a freshman intro class, then apply for the AT program, and do all 6 of the practicums. (Each practicum is 1 semester long, so an extra 3 years JUST for that class. If I didn't get accepted then I wasted a semester. If I had to choose between DPT and ATC I'd do DPT.

Why not go for the ATC if that's what you really want to do? I encourage you to write out the timeline to do it at your own school but then also put some other schools down for comparison. Depending on what classes you have taken so far, it might not be that much more than your senior year + extra year you are already planning for. You could also work as an ATC first and go back to DPT school a few years later, no rush.

I've always thought of ATC as "ankle wrappers" until I discovered how the skills of a DPT/ATC can be invaluable to a team. Again, our ATC at my high school was just Turrable.
Reason for my hesitation to switch is I'm already plenty in debt, Switching to AT would require to take a freshman intro class, then apply for the AT program, and do all 6 of the practicums. (Each practicum is 1 semester long, so an extra 3 years JUST for that class.

Why not look at schools with an entry level master's program for athletic training? I don't know much about the field, but again it seems like that's where your heart is....with athletes on the field. YOu could finish your bachelors as quick as possible, get into a masters program (which is probably cheaper and shorter than DPT) and be on your way. Seems way better than the option at your school. Then, I recommend working and paying off debt completely before going to DPT school.

If you want to be an Athletic Trainer, get an Athletic Trainer degree. Pretty simple. No other way around it. And it has been my experience that Athletic Trainers are required to do much more continuing education than a lot of healthcare providers in order to maintain licensure and/or certification.

Shenandoah university offers a dual masters in Athletic training and a DPT degree. Challenging, but definitely possible.

A girl I graduated undergrad with is currently in an entry-level master's ATC program. She has one more year left, and then she wants to pursue a DPT. If it's your passion I say go for it, but also look at it from a financial standpoint. You would be spending 30k-40k more for an extra degree BUT for a marginal pay increase at best.