DPT information session worth to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaryforPT

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I want to know what the benefit of coming PT school's information session. I don't have a car, so it takes me about 150$ to come to an information session in a 3 hours driving distance. I can think one of them is getting know the admission board earlier and before application actually turned in. Is that true? Could anyone share their opinions on school's information sessions, or what did you get from attending them? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you do get to know the admission board earlier IF you actually take the time to talk to them and be engaged. During interview rounds (months after info sessions), I do remember faces as did some of the faculty. Does it show that you're committed? Possibly. Does it increases your chance of admission? Possibly; if you left a good impression. MANY factors play into an admission decision, so I would focus more on things that you know for certain will increase your chances: GPA, GRE, LORs, observation hours, and ECs. But if it's one of your top schools, then it might be worth the travel.

My $0.02 from being part of the team that gave tours to open house/information session attendees as well as interviewees. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for replying. This is absolutely helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the supplemental questions on my school's (Army Baylor) application asked if we had been to an information session. My recruiter implied that the admissions committee took it into consideration, but I'm not sure how much of a factor it played. I actually had to fly down to the program then rent a car and get a hotel for a night. In addition to seeing the facilities in person and meeting staff and current students, I was able to check out the surrounding area. It ended up costing me a pretty penny but it was worth it.

Last edited:
One of the supplements questions on my school's (Army Baylor) application asked if we had been to an information session. My recruiter implied that the admissions committee took it into consideration, but I'm not sure how much of a factor it played. I actually had to fly down to the program then rent a car and get a hotel for a night. In addition to seeing the facilities in person and meeting staff and current students, I was able to check out the surrounding area. It ended up costing me a pretty penny but it was worth it.
Thank you so much for generous helping. I made my decision to go to this information session. It's on this Friday. Thanks again!

Yes, you do get to know the admission board earlier IF you actually take the time to talk to them and be engaged. During interview rounds (months after info sessions), I do remember faces as did some of the faculty. Does it show that you're committed? Possibly. Does it increases your chance of admission? Possibly; if you left a good impression. MANY factors play into an admission decision, so I would focus more on things that you know for certain will increase your chances: GPA, GRE, LORs, observation hours, and ECs. But if it's one of your top schools, then it might be worth the travel.

My $0.02 from being part of the team that gave tours to open house/information session attendees as well as interviewees. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for replying. This is absolutely helpful! PS: what do you mean by $0.02?

Thank you so much for replying. This is absolutely helpful! PS: what do you mean by $0.02?

Not a problem! $0.02 (two cents) is just an idiom stating that this is just my opinion.

I don't recommend going to every information session of every school you want to apply to. I chose to just go to my 2 top school's sessions and I was glad I went. In my case, I don't think they directly helped me get into school, but it made my personal commitment to the school stronger. I understand better what my life was going to be like as a PT student. I recommitted to finishing my remaining requirements with the best possible grades and just felt more comfortable with the whole application process. I think it's worth it for $150!

I don't recommend going to every information session of every school you want to apply to. I chose to just go to my 2 top school's sessions and I was glad I went. In my case, I don't think they directly helped me get into school, but it made my personal commitment to the school stronger.

Agree. Not likely to significantly change your chances of admission at most schools. But worth it if you have other good reasons for going.

Thank you so much for generous helping. I made my decision to go to this information session. It's on this Friday. Thanks again!
Good choice!!! If you can show how knowledgeable and passionate you are for physical therapy I think it will increase your chances. Especially if it comes down to a wait list situation and they are trying to give a few seats out to many people. More members of the admission committee should know you than if you just came to interview with a maybe one interviewer.