DPT and Hand Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondealleleDPT

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(XPost from Pre-Physical Therapy) Need some advice. I'm applying for DPT programs now to start 2017, and am very interested in eventually pursuing a CHT advanced certification. But overwhelmingly, I see OTs as CHTs, and very few DPTs as CHTs. Will I be at a disadvantage going for a DPT degree instead of OT? Are there any DPT, CHTs out there that can shed some light on how they feel DPT helped them with hand therapy?

Members don't see this ad.

The major disadvantage I can see is trying to get 4k/5 years of UE treatment to qualify.

My fieldwork site wouldn't hire an OT without a level II in hands so getting those hours maybe an issue.

Seen some OT/PT grads (dual) who are CHTs. Uncommon for a PT CHT. Maybe less than 15% from what i remember.

Although more OTs do seem to have interest in hand therapy, I don't think you will be at any kind of advantage. The hard part is what beestrng mentioned, getting those hours and years of experience so that you can qualify to get your CHT. Most places won't hire you unless you have your CHT but you need experience to get a CHT... Be sure that one of your full time clinicals is in a hand clinic, that should help you get your foot in the door somewhere in the country. We have 2 adjunct faculty at the program I attend who have their CHT and they have given us some great insight into what hand therapy is like. Both of them are involved in hiring new therapists at their respective workplaces and they both state that they don't care if the applicant is a DPT or and OT, they just prefer they already have their CHT.