DPT and dealing with finances/aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K_80_FDPT

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how current DPT students handle the financial side of school. I just recently found out what I would be getting in disbursements between the Unsubsidized and Grad PLUS Loans (a total of $76K for the year). I got accepted into a private school and their tuition is very high. After tuition is paid for the fall and spring semester coming, all I have left is $7K for living expenses per semester. I admit I have credit cards that still need to get paid, and unfortunately I did not get a roommate when I searched for a place - ended up getting a studio that costs $1000! It seemed to be the avg price for a studio around the area.

After contacting financial aid, they did pull funds from the summer to give me more for fall and spring, but I will still be short partly for summer. I want to make this work, but I am wondering if this is something that may hinder me from pursuing this path. I DO NOT want to be worrying about finances and paying bills off during school. How do/did you all do it?

I appreciate any advice. I am looking at scholarships as well since I am Hispanic., but also considering a GoFundMe lol - not sure how that works. Thank you. :(

Members don't see this ad.

You can take out another loan from a private lender such as Sallie Mae Grad Loan. There are many private lenders so I would do your research on the best rate offered. You can also see if your school does a work-study type program.

Make a spreadsheet and write out all your monthly expenses
rent
food
gas
phone
utilitis
etc

Based on that, determine your budget and see if $7000 covers it. Then stick to the budget. I would think $7000 should be enough for 5-ish months considering your rent. ?