Double majoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AxelLopez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would double majoring in Biology and Genetics be a good idea plus Pre-Med? How long will it take to finish? Will some of the classes colid in order to graduate in time?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a waste of time. Unless you're really interested in it and you truly have a passion for it, I'd say to avoid double majoring. A basic BS in Biology should be more than enough for any job you'd get as a "Genetics" major. Same vice versa, especially if you plan to just apply to medical school in the end. It's assumed you understand the principles deep enough, especially since any project/work you get involved with will require a more refined and narrow focus anyways.

If you really want to double major pick something more distant from bio, you'll at least have the advantage (slight, if any at all) of coming off as having someone with slightly more dimensions. Your GPA will also be kept from being slaughtered as is traditional of STEM curriculum at many schools.

Alright thank. In you're opinion what would you recommended?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright thank. In you're opinion what would you recommended?

Again, I don't recommend doing a double major unless you absolutely love it. But if you insist, go for something you truly love and will be thrilled to learn about it. I personally would have loved to do a Sociology major or some language.

K thank for the help.

You're asking lots of questions about specific degrees, the courses required for them, and what each will prepare you for. These are very difficult to answer from an outside perspective, as they are unique to your school and how they structure these programs. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with an adviser at your college to go over these things.

You can probably find your school's policy on applying the same course to both majors; usually there are tight limits on how many credits can be used for multiple majors/minors. In addition, there are often restrictions on doing multiple majors (or a major/minor) in very similar subjects.

I know I don't need to major in science I just need to meet the med school prerequisite. Genetic or any science field is really interested to me and would love to get a genetic degree. But yes I must be carful on what I take to make sure my GPA doesn't suffer.

Don't bite off more than you can chew. What I've seen with double majors is that the workload gets to them one or two semesters and their grades suffer. Then the larger accumulated credit hours makes GPA repair more difficult. I would do a major and a minor or a major and a couple electives of interest. If your ultimate goal is medical school, pick the path that allows you to make the best GPA possible - in most cases this is what you are most passionate about (so long as you aren't overwhelmed). Just my 2c good luck friend.

That sweet thank you :D

Thank goodness my school has these option: Biology: Genetics, Biology: Neuroscience, Biology: Cell Biology, and Biology: General. I think they even have Biology for plants as well as a major.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile