DO's in military residencies.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I have basically decided to attend a DO school in '05, I had a couple questions. I intend to get an HPSP scholarship.

1) I assume there's no difference between MD and DO students when matching to military residencies. Right?

2) If entering a military residency, must DO students still take the USMLE? Or will just the COMLEX suffice?

3) What's my favorite color?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by JKDMed
Since I have basically decided to attend a DO school in '05, I had a couple questions. I intend to get an HPSP scholarship.

1) I assume there's no difference between MD and DO students when matching to military residencies. Right?

2) If entering a military residency, must DO students still take the USMLE? Or will just the COMLEX suffice?

3) What's my favorite color?

1. right. the % of DO's in the military is actually higher than it is in the civilian world

2. generally military residencies take both. talk to individual program directors of residencies for more info.

3. red

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the army really doesn't care if you're DO or MD. But there is only one problem you might run into. Osteopaths have to to an osteopathic internship for their PGY-1 year.

Now, if you apply to an allopathic residency, as you would be doing in the military, the AOA can usually work it out so that your first year of an allopathic residency will meet the requirements of an AOA osteopathic internship. If you go into IM, FP, PEDS, this is very easy to do because for these allopathic programs, their first year rotations are similar to the required rotations of an osteopathic internship! The problem is, if you go into any other specialty, the first year of residency is not similar to an osteopathic intership and you lose out.

Now, some will tell you that you do not have to do an osteopathic intenship. But there are about six states where you cannot get a lisence if you're a DO and did not do an osteopathic intership. Make sure you do not wish to practice in one of these states. The ones I can name off the top of my head: PA, FL, OH, MI, not sure about the others.

Though bustbones26 is correct about requiring DO internships. Most military physicians take it all the way and do a residency in the military as well. And since military residencys are Allopathic, when you get out and want to practice in those states, the allopathic residency supercedes the DO PGY1 requirement.

I hope this helps.

LT QUIKO

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all military residencies are dually accredited through the AOA and the AMA.

Yep you are correct. But that point I was making is that if you are a DO and graduate from a military residency (which is accredited with the AMA as well as AOA) there is no disparity between between the two and doctors don't have to worry about that being an issue later.

So you are at KCOM? I just got accepted there. I take it you like it?

Yes jnytrama, I am a KCOM student (MSIII). Feel free to PM me with any q's you might have.