DO's in Derm residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pamolive

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that derm is the most coveted speciality, so I was just wondering if it is common for DO's to practice it. I know that if you do really well on your exams you can get an MD residency as a DO, is that the only way to get into derm as a DO?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that derm is the most coveted speciality, so I was just wondering if it is common for DO's to practice it. I know that if you do really well on your exams you can get an MD residency as a DO, is that the only way to get into derm as a DO?

there are some D.O. derm residencies, check out the osteopathic opportunities site

LECOM matched a kid into Derm at UT Galveston this year. There is also a dermpath fellow there that is a DO.

Derm is a difficult field period. AOA program or ACGME program, you have to pretty much be near the top of your class with great board scores.

It, however, is done every year so if thats what you want, go for it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM matched a kid into Derm at UT Galveston this year. There is also a dermpath fellow there that is a DO.

Derm is a difficult field period. AOA program or ACGME program, you have to pretty much be near the top of your class with great board scores.

It, however, is done every year so if thats what you want, go for it!!

I was under the impression that it was the dermpath fellow there who is a DO who matched at UT galveston, but I could be wrong.

And Kansas had a DO match too.

So yeah it can and has been done.

A guy from DMU also matched at UT galveston in derm this year.

Seems unlikely for DOs if we are pointing out that one dude pulled it off last year huh?

Seems unlikely for DOs if we are pointing out that one dude pulled it off last year huh?

It's unlikely for most MD's to get derm let alone a DO in the allopath match. PD's want strong candidates. Whether it is an allopath or an osteopath depends on how strong you are and if you are liked when you roatate. In the oseopathic match last year a PD said they had to turn away 10 candidates who all were 99th percentile on the COMLEX. Everyone of them were good but with only two slots... A lot of people want it. Work hard and be liked.

speaking of DOs in derm, i wanted to ask the opinion of the few allo attendings/residents that periodically post on this forum. recent posts on the notorius derm ezboard have absolutely torn DO dermatologists apart, claiming that they are inherently lesser physicians and essentially unqualified to practice derm because the majority are trained in lesser programs and certified by the osteo college of derm (which has less rigorous boards). it seems the majority of posters on the ezboard are either med students or residents (or maybe even high school students--the board is completely anonymous), and i'm interested to know if these sentiments conveyed by these individuals truly reflect the belief of the allo derm community.

any thoughts?

speaking of DOs in derm, i wanted to ask the opinion of the few allo attendings/residents that periodically post on this forum. recent posts on the notorius derm ezboard have absolutely torn DO dermatologists apart, claiming that they are inherently lesser physicians and essentially unqualified to practice derm because the majority are trained in lesser programs and certified by the osteo college of derm (which has less rigorous boards). it seems the majority of posters on the ezboard are either med students or residents (or maybe even high school students--the board is completely anonymous), and i'm interested to know if these sentiments conveyed by these individuals truly reflect the belief of the allo derm community.

any thoughts?
There are few DO dermatologists around so I think most allo Derms in practice do not have much knowledge of them.I'v never heard anything negative. At the American Academy of Dermatology national meetings I have seen DOs present cases and some are prominent in the field.I'v also seen published reports in allo Derm journals by DOs. So it appears to me that DO training is very satisfactory though I do not know the specifics. Med students and residents are very critical for various reasons and I would not rely on few hostile comments to judge a whole group of professionals.Especially since there are indeed some allopathic derms who are lesser docs!