DO's doing allopathic match 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's not necessarily true. If you were to kill your step 2 and have an otherwise great application, then you have a decent shot even with a below average step 1. It may not be at the best programs, but if you're okay with a lower tier ACGME program then you have a chance.

That's the plan. I'm going to shoot for some mid-tier programs depending on how I do on step 2. Hoping to land a spot in a program with fellowship opportunities.

Nah, I don't think that's necessarily true. I've heard of people scoring between 200-220 and still scoring a good number of IM interviews as DOs...I think you'll still be in good shape that way.

Nice! According to FREIDA, there are many mid-tier programs with minimum step 1 requirement of <220 for interview considerations.

Members don't see this ad.

How bout DO with average COMLEX scores and ONLY usmle step 2 over 220

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this thread, I had been following it for a while, a lot of the profiles from a few years ago are still very valid now.

COMLEX I/II >650
USMLE I ~ 230
Top 1/4
Interviews: Louisville, Mizzou, Tenn, Iowa, Cincy, UT-SA, UTMB, Kentucky, Indiana, Florida

I think the approximate ceiling for D.O.'s is somewhere leading just up to the Top 25 programs (tough on the coasts, not so bad in the heartland). I think the best bets overall for most is a good Big Ten program in the Midwest. Good luck.

Why a program accepts MD versus DO's, foreign medical applicant or not has to due with whether they have enough applicant interviewed to secure filling their positions. If a program has enough US trained medical students then they will not interview anyone else (perhaps a few just not to look prejudice).

What is curious to me is when people say "US trained doctors versus non US trained." Last I checked no one can practice medicine unless you finished residency training in the US, irregardless if you went to a US medical school or a foreign one. Then it hit me... JOB PROTECTION. People throw that word US trained or not around to use as a way to discriminate against a foreign doctor. Some program's resident would indicate during the interview that the chances to get in "this residency" is low for foreign grads versus US grad. Funny thing many foreign doctors are board certified in the US and practice in their country. They finished residency here in the US but were not allowed to practice here. again, JOB PROTECTION for the so called US trained doctor. So what the hell does US train mean? everyone went to residency training in the US. Does a medical school make a difference if someone is a good doctor or not, given that the person went to a kick @ss residency? I don't think so but most would have you think differently. Discrimination never ends, even in the professional field. pretty sad.

I'll bite to help those out next year. Throwaway because paranoia?

Step 1 - 240s / COMLEX 650+
Step 2 - 260s / COMLEX 750+

Applied to 41 programs.

Interview Invites: UConn, Georgetown, Christiana Care, UF Gainesville, USF Tampa, Emory, Northshore Chicago, Univ of Illinois - Chicago, UMass, Carolinas Medical Center, Wake Forest, Rutgers NJ, Rutgers RWJ, CCF, Univ of Cincinnati, Abington Memorial, Albert Einstein - Philly, Temple, Drexel, UPMC Mercy, Greenville SC, MUSC Charleston, VCU

Rejections (including silent): Yale, Yale PC, GWU, Advocate Lutheran Chicago, Loyola, Rush, Mount Auburn, St. Elizabeths Boston, Hopkins Bayview, St. Louis Univ, Case Western, OSU, UPenn, UPMC, Brown, Pennsy, UVA

Going on 12-13 of those interviews.

Why a program accepts MD versus DO's, foreign medical applicant or not has to due with whether they have enough applicant interviewed to secure filling their positions. If a program has enough US trained medical students then they will not interview anyone else (perhaps a few just not to look prejudice).

FYI this is typically true with regards to DO applicants but not true with regard to foreign medical applicants (non-caribbean IMGs). Many top programs that don't consider DOs interview and match top international medical graduates.

I'll bite to help those out next year. Throwaway because paranoia?

Step 1 - 240s / COMLEX 650+
Step 2 - 260s / COMLEX 750+

Applied to 41 programs.

Interview Invites: UConn, Georgetown, Christiana Care, UF Gainesville, USF Tampa, Emory, Northshore Chicago, Univ of Illinois - Chicago, UMass, Carolinas Medical Center, Wake Forest, Rutgers NJ, Rutgers RWJ, CCF, Univ of Cincinnati, Abington Memorial, Albert Einstein - Philly, Temple, Drexel, UPMC Mercy, Greenville SC, MUSC Charleston, VCU

Rejections (including silent): Yale, Yale PC, GWU, Advocate Lutheran Chicago, Loyola, Rush, Mount Auburn, St. Elizabeths Boston, Hopkins Bayview, St. Louis Univ, Case Western, OSU, UPenn, UPMC, Brown, Pennsy, UVA

Going on 12-13 of those interviews.
Wow that's a great set of invites. Although I'm really surprised u got denied from Lutheran General in Chicago and a couple other ones. Can I ask what are your extra curriculars were?

I matched a couple yrs ago.

Got invites from Rush, Loyola, UIC, Hopkins Bayview, Mayo Rochester, Baylor Houston, OHSU, Ohio St, Dartmouth, Indiana, Cleveland Clinic, Wisconsin, and a few others i cant seem to remember right now.

Hopefully this will help someone...

Step 1 Comlex: 597, USMLE: 239
Step 2 Comlex: 620, USMLE: 252

Interviews: UMinn, USC Columbia, USC Greenville, Wake Forest, CMC, Cleveland Clinic, OSU, UMass, St Josephs Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids Mi, MUSC, UK, UT San Antonio
Rejections: Dartmouth, Mayo, UNC, Duke, OHSU, BU

I also emailed programs I had not heard back from in early December indicating my continual interests in their program and ended up getting invites from 4 places. So based on my experience I highly recommend emailing programs later on, especially since students start to cancel invites later in the season opening more spots up for others. Just food for thought...But I highly recommend taking both USMLE step 1 and 2. It is the best way to compare apples to apples in the ACGME/MD world. Also, I have had interviews where the interviewer had an evaluation sheet on top of my chart/file in front of them with my USMLE scores written out at the top of the sheet. So again, board scores seem to be the first thing most programs look at and judge at first blush.