DO's and residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vash311

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many DO's out there were able to obtain the speciality residency they desired (allopathic or osteopathic residencies)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Vash311,

I was checking out the 2003 edition of US News and World Report today and based on the 3 osteopathic medical schools in the top 50 for Primary care (MSUCOM, TCOM and OSUCOM), between 80-90% seniors are awared their top 3 residency choices, which is about the same for many allopathic schools. :clap:

I got my third for rads.

I got my first choice in OB-GYN.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by TexasDOboi:
•(MSUCOM, TCOM and OSUCOM•••••what do these acronyms stand for?

Vyc,

MSUCOM- Michigan State Univesity College of Osteopathic Medicine

TCOM- Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.

And My Favorite

OSUCOM- Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Just a side question,
Has anyone heard of anyone getting AOA approval of their ACGME Internship or Residency? Has it been easy or difficult?

Yeah, matched to allopathic EM...thank God.

AOA approval, from what I understand, is very difficult unless you plead some sort of hardship case.

I got my first choice in Pediatrics at a dually accredited allopathic/osteopathic program.

•••quote:•••Just a side question,
Has anyone heard of anyone getting AOA approval of their ACGME Internship or Residency? Has it been easy or difficult?
••••Kirk, I did my FP residency at UCI. It was approved by the AOA with no problem. The AOA is rather flexible now on approving ACGME residencies. After all, there are not enough AOA residency positions for all the DO graduates.

Thanks Lee. I'm just from one of those five states that requires you to do an AOA appoved internship in order to be licensed, so its good that the AOA is becoming a little more flexible for the people doing ACGME internships and residencies.

ACGME fourth choice categorical general surg.