Don't Miss Career Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crayola227

Queen Tinfoil, types iwth a baby in her lap
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Choosing a Specialty: A letter to a medical student

This was written as advice to a medical student about psychiatry.

However, I think it's valuable for anyone in the sciences, doing research.

And I think it's amazing all around vocational advice, how we think about work vs. a calling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Thanks for sharing

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Woah, you're still alive?

I missed you too!

do you follow the Lounge? that's my main spot these days
even if I disappear for times, I will never be gone forever from SDN without you knowing it
in the event of my untimely death, I have a relative that has instructions to let you all know
I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to go, don't worry, I think we'll all have the heads up
let's hope it's a long time from now, I expect it will be

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for posting, loved it

And remarkably similar especially in the sections on research and the DSM to the advice I received from an academic psychiatrist who has been in the field for like 50 years when I told him I was interested in psych because there was so much we didn't know.

We've missed you in here!

What beautiful writing, especially those last few paragraphs. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: 1 users
I missed you too!

do you follow the Lounge? that's my main spot these days
even if I disappear for times, I will never be gone forever from SDN without you knowing it
in the event of my untimely death, I have a relative that has instructions to let you all know
I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to go, don't worry, I think we'll all have the heads up
let's hope it's a long time from now, I expect it will be
Haven't spent much time in the lounge lately, but maybe I'll pop in there every once in a while now that you're probably spicing it up!

Glad to hear you're gonna be around for the long haul (and glad to hear that you seem quite comfortable with your mortality), good to have ya back Cray :p

Reactions: 1 user