Don't go to WVU SChool of Dentistry!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentStudent2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Get back to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I try to avoid WV generally as a rule. Is it true that no one there has any teeth? This might be a stereotype.

Is the D-school in Morganhole? if so, i totally understand....

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the D-school in Morganhole? if so, i totally understand....

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I've visited a friend in his third year a few times, and I thought the area was great...beautiful countryside. As for the school, operating in a state that has a large rural and poor population makes for excellent clinic opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I've visited a friend in his third year a few times, and I thought the area was great...beautiful countryside. As for the school, operating in a state that has a large rural and poor population makes for excellent clinic opportunities.

Classic case of one man's junk, another man's treasure.....when i was on my recruiting trip to WVU the place was so dumpy i actually saw a whirlwind of trash. I rep. the bluegrass state, but always dreaded heading east...

but that's really beside the point of this lame thread--dentstudent 2010 has made such ridiculous claims previously it's pretty obvious this is a simple internet whine session after a bad day at school

Last edited:
Stereotype.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. I was reading an almanac of the US (an older edition at that, around 1990) and I just happened to glance upon the state with the highest rate of edentulism. Sure enough, WV topped the list. I don't know if this is still true, but I am fairly certain that at one time it was true.

i'm from west va. there are a lot of poorer areas, but isn't any different than country folk anywhere else in the US. it's not like places like kentucky, alabama, indiana, or mississippi are any better.

What is so terrible about attendance policy?
When I was at interview someone asked the pass rate and they said about 90% on there first try and we asked students there and they agreed.

The administration is terrible. The attendence policy is terrible. Their rural rotations are terrible, I did mostly prophys on my rotation.

Recently so many people failed part II of the National Boards that the school instituted a new rule that you now do not have to pass the Boards to get your diploma here.

Can you believe that? You don't even have to pass your national boards at WVU and our new Dean Veselicky will hand you a diploma!

What a joke huh?

I think at most d-schools you need to go to class. Perhaps this is a new policy at WVU Dental. Imagine the shock of actually being required to go to class when you've spent most of your time blogging on SDN at home eating pizza.

If one hopes to have any creditability in the information they present, I believe it is only fair to include and accurately represent all of the facts:

1. The WVU School of Dentistry recently underwent its reoccurring seven year accreditation process. For the first time in the school’s history (and as a direct result of Dean Veselicky’s progressive leadership), we received “0” recommendations / reporting requirements in the pre-doctoral program. Anyone who deals with dental education accreditation knows this is an extraordinary achievement for which all involved should be commended. Additionally, this accomplishment can only be achieved through the transparent delivery of demonstrated evidence-based outcomes. These outcomes relate to overall patient care, quality assurance, dental and dental hygiene education initiatives / activities, and progressive efforts in a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to patient healthcare needs. Our accreditation results indicate the “achievement of excellence” in these critical areas.

2. Since the Clinical Attendance Policy was introduced, evidence based outcomes show that students are doing more hands-on dentistry, being exposed to a greater variety of dental procedures, providing care to an increased number of West Virginia citizens, and ultimately leaves the school better prepared to render care to patients in a myriad of environments and situations. Additionally, it ensures all students receive the greatest return on their educational investments.

3. On a personal note, it troubles me greatly that any WVU dental student cannot see the real-world value of rural site rotations. This opportunity exposes students to a variety of dental procedures not always available in the traditional “dental student clinic” setting. It also provides the student with a unique opportunity to give back to the citizens of West Virginia. One WVU dental student’s YouTube video diary best sums up the experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ezQFcXF0do

4. Obviously, this student has no idea how National Board exams and graduation from dental school correlates. Please talk to any dental school administrator; I’m sure they will be glad to provide clarification. Basically, the concept is similar to students who graduate from law school. Successful passage of the Bar exam is not a requirement of graduation...as the exam is regulated and administered by an outside organization.

5. Since her appointment three years ago as interim dean, Dr. Veselicky has worked tirelessly to bring the important concept of “Oral Health” to the forefront of conversations among students, faculty, staff, alumni, WVU/HSC Administrators, and local/state legislators. Her dedication is beyond measure and such a personal attack on her professional character is unwarranted, inappropriate, and without merit. It also works to discredit all WVU dental students who rightfully EARN their degrees.

Last edited:
Before you post to complain about your school, remember that you never know who is reading.

If one hopes to have any creditability in the information they present, I believe it is only fair to include and accurately represent all of the facts:

1. The WVU School of Dentistry recently underwent its reoccurring seven year accreditation process. For the first time in the school’s history (and as a direct result of Dean Veselicky’s progressive leadership), we received “0” recommendations / reporting requirements in the pre-doctoral program. Anyone who deals with dental education accreditation knows this is an extraordinary achievement for which all involved should be commended. Additionally, this accomplishment can only be achieved through the transparent delivery of demonstrated evidence-based outcomes. These outcomes relate to overall patient care, quality assurance, dental and dental hygiene education initiatives / activities, and progressive efforts in a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to patient healthcare needs. Our accreditation results indicate the “achievement of excellence” in these critical areas.

2. Since the Clinical Attendance Policy was introduced, evidence based outcomes show that students are doing more hands-on dentistry, being exposed to a greater variety of dental procedures, providing care to an increased number of West Virginia citizens, and ultimately leaves the school better prepared to render care to patients in a myriad of environments and situations. Additionally, it ensures all students receive the greatest return on their educational investments.

3. On a personal note, it troubles me greatly that any WVU dental student cannot see the real-world value of rural site rotations. This opportunity exposes students to a variety of dental procedures not always available in the traditional “dental student clinic” setting. It also provides the student with a unique opportunity to give back to the citizens of West Virginia. One WVU dental student’s YouTube video diary best sums up the experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ezQFcXF0do

4. Obviously, this student has no idea how National Board exams and graduation from dental school correlates. Please talk to any dental school administrator; I’m sure they will be glad to provide clarification. Basically, the concept is similar to students who graduate from law school. Successful passage of the Bar exam is not a requirement of graduation...as the exam is regulated and administered by an outside organization.

5. Since her appointment three years ago as interim dean, Dr. Veselicky has worked tirelessly to bring the important concept of “Oral Health” to the forefront of conversations among students, faculty, staff, alumni, WVU/HSC Administrators, and local/state legislators. Her dedication is beyond measure and such a personal attack on her professional character is unwarranted, inappropriate, and without merit. It also works to discredit all WVU dental students who rightfully EARN their degrees.

i really think the WVU admins missed an opportunity here, to listen to some of their students without getting involved, and attempting to scare other students from voicing their opinions (even if they're wrong). notice that the replys have been mostly pro WVU. however now you may not hear other opinons and honest concerns. :eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad :)
i really think the WVU admins missed an opportunity here, to listen to some of their students without getting involved, and attempting to scare other students from voicing their opinions (even if they're wrong). notice that the replys have been mostly pro WVU. however now you may not hear other opinons and honest concerns. :eyebrow:

I have been to many dental schools around the country talking with many students and residents, been to quite a few dental meetings, and have taught board preparation courses. In all of these scenarios I have met WVU students and graduates and I have been impressed every time. Also during this time, I worked with students from other schools, but WVU grads seemed to stand out. They are a solid school that produces excellent clinicians.

Every school has their bumps, ups and downs, and really bad stuff. There are some schools, however, that have more bad than good and lots of downs and few ups... but WVU is not one of them.

On a clinical note, I would hire a WVU grad anyday to work with/for me.

I am a recent WVU grad, and I thought it was a great dental school. I had every opportunity to succeed at that school. Dean Veselicky always had the best interest of the students in mind. Faculty for the most part was excellent. I specialized straight out of school, and for the most part they were generally supportive. The rural rotations are not all created equal, my experience was decent, some peoples was great and others terrible. But, you still for the most part get great experience with a lot of freedom and autonomy.

Dental school for the most part is what you make of it. I hope that the original posters experience gets better. I would say that if what he said about a large number of people failing Part II is correct and they are still graduating, they need to address that immediately.

Good luck to both the student and Dean Veselicky.

Before you post to complain about your school, remember that you never know who is reading.

I would like to give a big :claps::claps::claps: to Dean V. for standing up for her school. Since this is a professional school after all, how about taking care of it professionally--man up and talk to the admin. directly.

It's juvenile to post an e-rant w/out talking to higher ups about it.

totally agree

How many grads are getting into the residencies they want? How many grads are getting the jobs they want? What is the on-time graduation rate? What is the total cost of attendance?

Numbers might convince me the OP might have a point.

I don't believe you. You may have just banned the real dean.

Don't go to WVU? What kind of advice is that? Though I'm sure people appreciate the information about the school, if someone from WV got in and only got into WVU, they should still go. And if you're not from WV, you have no business applying here in the first place.

And as far as Boards go, I'm sure a majority of people who take the boards pass, otherwise the school wouldn't be accredited. And if you fail the boards, sorry but it's mostly your own fault, not the school's.

What planet do you spend most of your time on?

I spend time on this planet, a realistic one, not the dream world that some non-WV residents live on when they apply to WVU.

http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/sod/Admissions/Files/facts_figures.pdf

For the class of 2013, 1457 non-residents applied to WVU and only 5 non-residents without ties to the university nor ties to the state got in. That's a 0.3% chance of getting in as a non-resident. In contrast, 98 people applied from In-State or with WV/WVU ties, and 45 got in, that's a 45.9% chance of acceptance.

If you don't have ties to WVU and you don't have ties to the state of West Virginia, it is unrealistic to expect to get into WVU, and thus is a waste of time and money to apply here. (For those 5 who beat the system, congratulations.)

Last edited:
How will their non-residents without ties seats fill up if no one applies?

How will their non-residents without ties seats fill up if no one applies?

Very good point. For those applying for those seats, good luck, you have a 0.3% chance at acceptance. On the bright side, those odds are better than winning the lottery. How does anyone win the lottery unless people buy tickets, right? There's always a lottery winner ;)

Right on Dean! Can I get in to your school? :smuggrin::smuggrin:

It makes me smile that for the most part this thread is dominated by people taking up for WVU.

I think at any school there are going to be people who are unhappy, but to say that someone should not go to WVU is ridiculous. Dental school is hard, but ultimately you decide what sort of experience you're going to have. As long as you work hard and do your best and commit to becoming more proficient and more educated everyday then it's going to work out to your advantage.

I like going to WVU. Sure, there are days i'd rather stay in bed than attend a pharmacology lecture that puts me to sleep, but I think that would happen no matter where I went. I think the professors and dentists at WVU are highly capable and want you to succeed, and they'll help you do that as long as you put forth the effort too.

I don't know the number of people who pass the boards, or get into residencies, or get jobs they want, or who don't graduate on time, but i also don't hear rumors circulating about how it isn't possible to do those things from our school. I think if any of those things were really a problem, our student body would address it, and we would hear about it. We're all really open and honest, the school asks for ways they could improve and for the most part, i think they listen.

It's really not too bad;)

now, back to test studying =D

It makes me smile that for the most part this thread is dominated by people taking up for WVU.

Obviously, this student has no idea how National Board exams and graduation from dental school correlates. Please talk to any dental school administrator; I’m sure they will be glad to provide clarification. Basically, the concept is similar to students who graduate from law school. Successful passage of the Bar exam is not a requirement of graduation...as the exam is regulated and administered by an outside organizationD

This implies 2 things: Either the part 2 exam is not requirement for graduation or REGIONAL licensing exam is not required for graduation. I'd like to think it is the latter or else something is really wrong with WVU.

You try being a student at our school. Our services are not free. Our rural and poor population think that everything should be free. They need crowns but end up in dentures.

What is so terrible about attendance policy?

You are starting to sound like my wife!

Last edited:

1. The WVU School of Dentistry recently underwent its reoccurring seven year accreditation process. For the first time in the school's history (and as a direct result of Dean Veselicky's progressive leadership), we received "0" recommendations / reporting requirements in the pre-doctoral program. Anyone who deals with dental education accreditation knows this is an extraordinary achievement for which all involved should be commended. Additionally, this accomplishment can only be achieved through the transparent delivery of demonstrated evidence-based outcomes. These outcomes relate to overall patient care, quality assurance, dental and dental hygiene education initiatives / activities, and progressive efforts in a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to patient healthcare needs. Our accreditation results indicate the "achievement of excellence" in these critical areas.

What? Please feel free to post your evidence based outcomes fact sheet. I would love to see this if it exists.

3. On a personal note, it troubles me greatly that any WVU dental student cannot see the real-world value of rural site rotations. This opportunity exposes students to a variety of dental procedures not always available in the traditional "dental student clinic" setting. It also provides the student with a unique opportunity to give back to the citizens of West Virginia. One WVU dental student's YouTube video diary best sums up the experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ezQFcXF0do

some students are doing 95% prophys on their rotations. If you think this makes you better then enjoy your future career as a hygienist.

4. Obviously, this student has no idea how National Board exams and graduation from dental school correlates. Please talk to any dental school administrator; I'm sure they will be glad to provide clarification. Basically, the concept is similar to students who graduate from law school. Successful passage of the Bar exam is not a requirement of graduation...as the exam is regulated and administered by an outside organization.

NO NO No, I will tell you how the national board exam and dental school correlates - THEY DON'T.

5. Since her appointment three years ago as interim dean, Dr. Veselicky has worked tirelessly to bring the important concept of "Oral Health" to the forefront of conversations among students, faculty, staff, alumni, WVU/HSC Administrators, and local/state legislators. Her dedication is beyond measure and such a personal attack on her professional character is unwarranted, inappropriate, and without merit. It also works to discredit all WVU dental students who rightfully EARN their degrees.

FACT: I agree with you. However, you do not have to pass national boards to graduate from WVU. Correct?

Last edited:
FACT: I agree with you. However, you do not have to pass national boards to graduate from WVU. Correct?

why dont the student stop complain and pay for your patient's crown unless you want to waste time trying to find a person that can.

why dont the student stop complain and pay for your patient's crown unless you want to waste time trying to find a person that can.

Being in school for the last 25 years and having over $200,000 of debt may have something to do with that.

that is not a solution. dental students can feel forced to pay for their patients dental work in order to complete a requirement and it is an unfortunate part of dental education. the design protocol for requirements has got to change if this is happening at your school.

if you have procratinated or it is somehow your fault for not taking a previous case, then that is different, but if that's what many students there are doing, then its not kosher IMO.

Being in school for the last 25 years and having over $200,000 of debt may have something to do with that.

The amount of time and stress you put on yourself for not meeting a requirement for graduation is far more valuable than putting out $500 for a crown. Graduating on time and getting to work sooner than later makes up for it. Many people, including myself have no issues with paying for or at least part of a procedure if I really needed it that badly to graduate. Think about it

I've got a better solution, tell them the price of the crown, and if they say they can't afford it, "talk" with one of your superiors to see if you can get the price "lowered". After you "talk" with one of them, tell them the new price. I think that they will be much more likely to comply, and you to get your procedure, even if you have to pay some out of pocket. This way, you are more likely to get your procedure, and not have to pay for the whole thing. I'm not sure if this crosses any ethical boundaries, as you would simply be doing the patient a "favor", but it sure could save you time (and lost income from delayed graduation) and the patient some dough.